iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big grubs in oak

Started by brdmkr, April 23, 2006, 10:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

The other day, the very same day that everything went wrong, I was cutting some southern red oak that had been lightning struck and dead for a year or so.  It had some really large grubs it in.  They were as big as a couple of knuckles on my little finger.  I wish I had gotten pictures, but I was too busy trying to figure out all the other things that were going wrong.  These grubs looked kind of like hellgramites (not sure if that is spelled anywhere near correctly).  Anybody have any idea what these might have been without having a pic?

Thanks.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

Yep!   Flat head borers   There are Flat Head Borers that attack fruit trees, oaks, pines, etc.  all over.  The get into a dead log that still has bark and feed under the bark until they get of size.  Then they turn and start drilling int the log.  You can hear them in a wood pile from 50 or 60 feet away.  The gnawing takes them about 6 inches deep where they turn the chamber in a "J" shape and pupate.    Behind them is left an oval hole that is filled with "frass".  The frass is a tooth pick looking shavings that fills the hole behind them. 

When they leave the hole as a beetle, the hole will be made round and the frass will disappear.

The Southern Pine Sawyer is one of the Flat Head Borers.  He matures into a grey  beetle with long antennae that curl back over his head.  You will see them a lot when you work around a pine log yard.

Two that attack oaks are the Red Oak Borer and the White Oak Borer.  Both are Round head borers but do pretty much the same damage as a flat head borer.  Their entry holes are usually round and filled with frass.

I've been told that they make good fish bait. But, have not had much luck with them.

DanG

You probbly hookin' them wrong, Tom.  Don't never hook'em in the head, but alway hook'em in the tail.  Thataway, they can reach out and grab the fish.  Gotta reel'em in fast though, 'cause they'll eat the thing before you can get him in the boat! :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I have tried to use those giant grubs for fishing. I was out on 5 lakes one time when the bass were hitting anything you through in the water AFTER I took the gtub back off my hook. I had some a couple three with me I saved from a log the day before. After catching several fish and running out of crawlers, I put a grub back on and not a bite. Took him off and put on a beaded/spinner crawler harness on without a crawler and caught MORE fish. Put a new grub back on and nuthin.  I think DanG is right. I think fish are scared of em.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

You guys got it all wrong.Try catching chickens with 'em.They love them things.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

highpockets

What size hook do you use for chickens? 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

brdmkr

I don't know about fish, but the guy's dog sure seemed to enjoy them.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Frickman

We see them all the time in dead oak. I always called them oak borers too. I'm not sure of their scientific name.

I never thought of using them for bait. I guess you guys saved me alot of trouble though. ;)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

MikeInTexas

Is this what you are talking about?

Southside

smiley_horserider  Yowza!!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Yup, from a downed Water Oak.

I have never had any fishing luck with them either, but I have never tried them on a trotline, etc. for catfish.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Years ago I used to backpack and camp with a Bavarian fella. He taught wilderness survival on the side and had survived WW II on the non-winning side. One time in February we were camped on about a 4 foot snow pack and he was splitting up some small firewood when a big grub popped out of  split, with out missing a beat, he reached down and picked it up, looked it all over, and popped it in his mouth. When he turned and saw the look on my face, he said "What?, Grubs are one of the highest sources or protein you can find. Good Stuff!"
I took his word for it. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

That would be one of those situations where, if I had to, I would. Casual grub eating, no way! I remember watching that "Man vs Wild" and he ate some raw zebra, some raw salmon, I'm like, "hey it's a survival situation, you do what you gotta do." But then the one episode, he was in bear country and found some grizzly scat that where it was evident the bear had found a good berry patch. So instead of trying to find some berries, he mashed up the scat and those berries off with water. I thought to myself, "sometimes it's better to just die"😑
Too many irons in the fire

Brad_bb

What are those the larvae of?  I found some of those in the rotted base of a walnut log.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

Quote from: barbender on July 07, 2019, 09:55:02 PM
That would be one of those situations where, if I had to, I would. Casual grub eating, no way! I remember watching that "Man vs Wild" and he ate some raw zebra, some raw salmon, I'm like, "hey it's a survival situation, you do what you gotta do." But then the one episode, he was in bear country and found some grizzly scat that where it was evident the bear had found a good berry patch. So instead of trying to find some berries, he mashed up the scat and those berries off with water. I thought to myself, "sometimes it's better to just die"😑
Someone once said: "The difference between what you will eat and won't eat is 24 hours"
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sealark37

To make these grubs more appetizing, impale them on a splinter of wood, then roast them over the coals until they split.  They taste like shrimp than have dirt on them.  I never had the chance to try them with hot sauce.     Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!