iDRY Vacuum Kilns

News

Started by jeff, May 24, 2001, 03:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I know you must have noticed it. The news fader thing as you come into the site. Does it irritate you as much as it does me?

I wanted to have a way of drawing attention to things that visitors that don't get the "new" image that forum members get. But it annoys me.

Thumbs up?
Thumbs down?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It doesn't bother me but I'll have to admit I didn't notice it until I saw this entry.  It could get to be too much like a Marquee and that would be annoying.  Used on occassion as a special attention getter could benefit new as well as old (whoops), uh, longer term members.

If you are going to use the contests to help interest new members then a forum called current contest that would remain at the top of the list, above "general" would keep people from having to look for it.  A different Font would make it special.  Then the news fade could say "New Contest"

Ron Wenrich

Actually, I kind of like it.  It gives information that you may not think about checking out.  As long as there aren't a great deal of messages, I'd keep it.

I think what it reminds you of are those annoying banner advertisements.  On some sites, they are found on every page.  

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.