iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken band saw blades.

Started by Camp Run Farm, April 20, 2006, 07:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camp Run Farm

Does anyone have some suggestions what can be done with broken band mill blades?  It just seems they should be able to be recycled into something useful.  It just kills me to throw them away.

Ed

Frank_Pender

Wind chimes,
on top of a fence to keep the unwanted out,
springs for a garden bench,
latch for a gate or or shed door,
Frank Pender

Larry

Scrapers for custom moulding and bead cocking.  Marking knives to lay out mortises and  dovetails.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

johnjbc

Been saving mine to put in cement for reinforcement
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

jpgreen

I've got a buddy that makes carving tools from them.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpgreen

-also had a friend that is a drummer, inlay his broken Zildian cymbal peices in his oak furniture.

That would be kinda cool with blade peices..  :)

mike_van

With the price of steel, just might be worth going to the scrap yard. You would probably need a 55 gal. drum filled with cut-up lengths though.  I heard scrap copper is over 2.00 lb., last I knew it was 45 cents.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ernie_Edwards

One of these days I hope to talk Darla into hammering a bandsaw blade into a damascus billet and make a knofe out of it.

I tried forge welding a chainsaw blade into a billet and didn't do too well. So I guess she will have to do that project too. Thought a knife made from a chainsaw blade would really be neat.

Sure nice to be on the other side of the honey- do list for a change.

Tom

That reminds me of a story.......

My broken blades were used by farmers who did their own butchering.  They ground them into short bladed knives with big handles that wouldn't slip when covered with grease and oil.  The ones who were butchering hogs really like them.  I didn't get rid of  many blades but the ones that I did pass on were made into some really ugly but good knives.  Some ended up in the kitchen.

They make a good fillet knife for fishing too.

The woodworking club I belonged to had a knife maker.  He is well known and famous in his little pond.  I had been wanting to see his shop and asked him if he wanted some bandsaw blades.  He was excited and sounded as if he could use a bunch.  I went to my barn and rolled up and tied about fifty broken blades and put them in the back of my pick-up.  I went to his house and got the nickel tour.  He was proud to show off his shop.  I then reminded him that the reason I had come over was to bring him some bands.  We walked out front to the truck.

He looked at them and took one out.  "Thanks, I'll take one", he said.

"I brought them all for you, they're yours", I said.

" I don't have any use for that many", he said.  "I would have to melt them down and make Damascus blades from them and that's too much trouble."

I took them back home.

When I give away fish, I have to clean them.
When I give away produce, I have to pick it and wash it and deliver it.
When I give away firewood, I have to split it and deliver it.
When I give away boards, I have deliver them and let them pick the pile.
I guess, when I give away bandsaw blades, I have to have them already turned into a knife.

ely

i have the plan of hammering damascus knives out of some of them. as soon as the blacksmith shop gets done. i will take some pictures of that happening.

mike van i sold copper here in okla, last fri. for 2.51 a pound thats #1, #2 was 2.22 a pound all the scrap prices are out of site right now and i love it.

sawguy21

This question possibly got answered on another thread ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jpgreen

highpockets

You can hang them in your shop so everytime you walk by they will scratch you.  Put them in a 55 gal junk barrell and watch them jump on you when you try to empty it. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

jackpine

If you use Woodmizer Re-sharp services you can send the broken bands back to them. They will replace the broken ones with a new band and give you a 10% discount on the cost of a new band.

I didn't find out about that service until I had a pile of bands rusting away in the yard. Ended up burying them under a concrete slab just to get rid of them.

Bill

Qweaver

During the years that I taught welding in high school we were on a tight budget.  I bought bulk blade material for our metal cutting bandsaw, made a jig and silver soldered them together.  Our metal shop finally got a blade welding machine and I started doing it that way but a properly done silver solder joint never broke
Preping the blade and silver soldering requires some skill and care and is a bit labor intensive but why couldn't broken wood mill blades be squared and rewelded on a band welding machine? I did it for years on my metal cutting blades.
The HSS blades for my Kalamazoo cost $35 from my supplier ($70 if bought local) so it would not be practical to make my own...but I'd sure repair them if I broke my last blade and needed it that day.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Trent

Broken band saw blades? This is new to me. Must be something I missed. I paid good money for 2 blades about 6 mo. ago, and they are still just like new.    Trent
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

mike_van

Quinton, from what i've had happen, when one breaks it gets kinked beyond what you can straighten out. Or, if you look close, you will see many other gullets with cracks just starting, fix one, another lets loose. Just metal fatigue, the backer stock has had it.  I haven't had one "let loose"  in some time - there's a telltale sign on my mill - You will see the blade shuck back & forth in the guides - A crack is opening up, the front edge [cracked]  is longer than the back edge, I shut it down, change the blade.  Usually can then see a few more fine cracks. I don't know if i've ever had a factory weld break -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Trent on April 23, 2006, 09:26:35 AM
Broken band saw blades? This is new to me. Must be something I missed. I paid good money for 2 blades about 6 mo. ago, and they are still just like new.    Trent

Trent,
You're supposed to make the bands go around and cut lumber with them. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

jpgreen

Quote from: Qweaver on April 23, 2006, 08:57:04 AM
During the years that I taught welding in high school we were on a tight budget.  I bought bulk blade material for our metal cutting bandsaw, made a jig and silver soldered them together.  Our metal shop finally got a blade welding machine and I started doing it that way but a properly done silver solder joint never broke
Preping the blade and silver soldering requires some skill and care and is a bit labor intensive but why couldn't broken wood mill blades be squared and rewelded on a band welding machine? I did it for years on my metal cutting blades.
The HSS blades for my Kalamazoo cost $35 from my supplier ($70 if bought local) so it would not be practical to make my own...but I'd sure repair them if I broke my last blade and needed it that day.

Quinton

So this is where all the shop teachers went... The Forestry Forum.   ;D

Qweaver

That's cause we get to retire early and play with sawmills.  Hey, making very little money teaching or making very little money sawing works out about the same...and we don't have to put up with those little $%&*# ..er, darlings anymore.  :D :D  Actually I loved teaching but I'm liking this too!

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

woodbeard

Anyone ever seen those rasps that are made of a bunch of hacksaw blades?
Imagine one in 7/8 pitch.  :o Would make a heck of a carving/shaping tool.

nicole

In the thirties my Dad made a boning knife for Mom from a blade. It was her favorite! Every now and again she would cut herself. The last time she cut herself, Dad took the knife and snapped the blade.

DextorDee

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Tony

Quote from: jpgreen on April 20, 2006, 09:44:26 AM
I've got a buddy that makes carving tools from them.

To make a knife or carving tool do I need to heat the blade, and if
so to what color????   ??? ??? ???

Tony   8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Tom

If you make fine knives, you probably would heat and mold the blade.  But, I've never heated one.  As a matter of fact, I try to not heat it as I grind it.   The trick is to find the shape that will give the proper bending characteristics.  They don't do well as a a heavy ended butcher knife.  I find that they make good boning knives, paring knives and fillet knives.   Mine never have been real pretty, but they sure do hold an edge. 

about all I use is a little side grinder, a belt sander and a whet stone.    I find big handles comfortable.  You can't buy them.

Thank You Sponsors!