iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixin' something

Started by woodbowl, April 19, 2006, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

woodbowl

Here's all the parts ....... except one.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom

pasbuild

I would like to retract my guess ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

scsmith42

either hanging an axle or splicing some pipe together...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

woodbowl

No ....... and .... no. 

mikeandike

well your going to clamp the little black pipe thingy with the U-bolts
to the little retangle thingy and use your square to line it up somehow.

To run some liquid somewhere...

Can't really see all the smallish stuff. :-[
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

woodbowl

Geting real close there mikeandike. I probably should have hidden the black thingy. Here's another part.

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

woodbowl

getoverit

fixin a hydraulic hose? never seen it done that way before though...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

scsmith42

I'm going to revise my guess...

It looks like you are splicing into a hydraulic hose - either to pull an additional pressure line off of an existing hose or to splice into a return hose.

Alternatively, you're patching a hose... or extending one.

Scott

woodbowl

I've tried to splice in the past using hose clamps, but they won't hold the pressure, so I'm trying this.

scsmith42

Worth a try. 

One question though... does the tang in the middle of the hose barb extend up past the hose itself?  If so, you may need to cut your sleeves in half, or put a relief in them in the middle where the center tang resides on the hose connector.  Otherwise, you might not get the maximum amoung of clamping force because the tang could be keeping the metal sleeves from fully compressing the hose in the middle.

Make sense?

Scott

woodbowl

I was in a bind and had to do something quick. It holds the pressure real good. I think I'll make a few up for an in the field quick fix.

getoverit

I have learned something today :)

was this a pressure line or a return line Olin?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodbowl

It's both since the toe is a double action cyl. Worked on a job yesterday, as far as I can tell, it hasn't leaked a drop.
   I think I will split some more pipe, precut it to length, weld tabs on the side and use regular bolts instead of "U" bolts next time. This is a great emergency "in the field" fix!
   Can anyone think of a preformed HD bracket that can be bought, simular to the shape of the tab on a battery terminal?  _/\_   A couple of these top and bottem welded to the split pipe should make it a snap to install. The top of the bracket should be rounded of course and a batt tab is way too flimsy.

scsmith42

Olin, re the preformed bracket, what about using a standard wire rope clamp and grinding off the long fingers on the cast piece?

Murf

Olen, ya do know they actually make a quick splice device huh?

It's a swivel union with a screw together clamping ferule on each end. All you have to do is cut the hose in half at the rupture point, and stick in the coupler.

They cost about $20 up here and are rated for 5000 psi. Much safer.......  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

mike_van

I'm with Murf on this one - Not to discourage "on the spot" repairs to get a job done, but hot hydraulic oil under pressure has claimed it's share of eyes, fingers & hands. I blew one on my splitter once, hit me in the leg - like a shot from a bullwhip -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

I use those fittings for burst hose.  The problem is that you have to cut the hose.  That can be a problem in the woods.  The wire in those hoses doesn't cut too easily with a hack saw and you need a pretty clean cut.

woodbowl

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 21, 2006, 10:12:54 AM
re the preformed bracket, what about using a standard wire rope clamp and grinding off the long fingers on the cast piece?

That should work Scott. I tried to match one up the other day but couldn't find the right size for it.

Murf, I bought the last one from my auto parts man a few years ago and he can't get any more in. Where can I get them?

scsmith42

Olen, often the hardware store or agricultural supply house stocks these.    If not, check a utility or rigging supply house.  Scott

Murf

Scott's right, I would also suggest you try Northern Hydraulics or TSC online.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!