iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas retiping

Started by KnotBB, April 19, 2006, 11:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnotBB

Just had my first blade retipped for my Lucas and was surprised it only cost $15 and the shop is only 10 miles from home.  8)  He provided the carbid too.  Cheaper than a band blade!!!
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

Bob Smalser

I bought the jig and retipped and hammered my own for a couple years.

Then I discovered that Shelton Saw Works would retip, grind and true them for under 20 bucks....and did a better job, to boot....and I haven't done my own since.

The hard part is hammering them true....that's where it pays to hire them out. 
Bob

dredgeslavedave

Hey KnotBB, where did you go to get the blade re-tipped? You can PM me if you want. Thank you, Dave.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

jpgreen

That guy autta start a "Re-Sharp" Program..  :D  ........... ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

sawguy21

??? 15 bucks. :o Be real nice to him. It sure isn't worth doing it yourself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Trax

QuoteCheaper than a band blade!!!

Local guy here only charges $3 to sharpen bands

brdmkr

I just sent off 3 blades to be retipped.  18.75/blade + shipping.  I thought that was pretty reasonable. 

Trax, with the Lucas blades, you generally sharpen those on the saw, so that part is free.  The mill comes with a sharpener and it takes less than 5 minutes to install the sharpener and sharpen the blades.  Having the saw retipped is basically like getting a new blade.  They take off the old carbid tips and install new ones.  So, $ 15.00/blade is a pretty good deal and it is cheaper than buying a new band blade.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

metalspinner

Somethings been on my mind...
Why can't one of these blades be set up for disposable inserts? I know the blade would need to be a bit thicker, but the ease of retipping may outway the kerf loss in the log.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

brdmkr

Doesn't someone make a blade for the Peterson with disposable tips?  The problem, I would think, would be that the cost of the disposable tips would likely exceed the cost of having the tips soldered in place, but if shipping the blade t be retipped created too much down time, it might be workable for some.   Of course the kerf would be wider too.  I wonder if the smaller engines on the swing blades would bog down with the wider kerf?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

I looked at the possibility of buying an inserted tooth blade for my Peterson and found that a new blade runs around $550... an inserted tooth blade runs almost $2,000... BIG difference and not worth it.

You can actually build yourself a retipping jig pretty easily and silver solder the tips on your own blades for about $2/tooth. This is the way to go :)

Since the Peterson and Lucas are so similar, I assume that the blades are too.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

metalspinner

Doing it yourself is the best situation to be in.  The convenience of inserts is being able to replace tips on the jobsite.  If you have just two blades and slam into a couple of nails, you can retip on the spot.  I would think the replacable inserts are resharpenable as well.  But the initial investment could be cost prohibative.   If you can braze your own tips,  maybe you can braze the insert holder onto the blade?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!