iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting timbers

Started by Nova, April 19, 2006, 06:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

Is there a consensus or rule of thumb on the number of timbers to cut to ensure you have the number needed once they have air dried?  In other words, if I need ten 8 x 12's how many would it be wise to cut extra so I will have reserve beams that are air dried in case one or two aren't usable or won't pass grade once they dry?  Keep in mind, I am on the front end of the experience curve and expect I will read a few logs incorrectly increasing the risk of rejects.  Using eastern white pine.
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

Jim_Rogers

One or two should work, unless you have a very poor grade of logs.

What I do is go to the log pile and look for the best looking logs you can see.
Use them first, and work your way to the poorest looking logs....
Cut the biggest timber needed, and/or longest timber needed first.
Then if you find a bad area or side, you can cut them back to something smaller/shorter.
And you don't need to let them air dry that long.....

Good luck with your project....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Nova

Thanks Jim.  That's what I was planning to do with each log, cut the biggest/longest timber possible and knock them off my timber schedule one by one.  If once they are opened up...what you said.  Good to know I am on track.  We are crunching numbers to see if we can start the shop and the foundation for the new house before our current one sells.  If things go as planned (house sells, etc.) expect to dry timbers for 8 - 10 weeks.  If not, it will be longer.
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

Thank You Sponsors!