iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framed Small Plane Hangar

Started by clif, April 19, 2006, 01:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clif

Has anyone built or seen a timber frame small plane hangar?  It is for a super cub, he is getting me the wing span.  I have a few thoughts and ideas, but I am open to any suggestions!!
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

woodbowl

I've never seen one but big truss beams in the great rooms of steak houses and such, prove that it can be done. I made a 40' wooden span for the front of my hanger just to see if it could be done. I suppose it is a truss but it is only 30" tall X 40' long. It has a 2 X 6 on the top and one on the bottem. Two 20 footers are in the middle and the 10 footers are on the ends. I nailed 1" boards at a 45° angle on one side like this ///////// then on the other side like this \\\\\\\\\\\\.  The actual splice for the 20' and 10' joints are on the outside. I nailed a no knot 1 X 6 over the angled boards at every joint. I put in a 1" crown while it was being built and it's still there.  It seems really strong but I don't have any numbers for ya. The reason I went with wood was because that's what I had and I wanted to learn something. Let us know what you plan to do and be sure to post some pics.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

clif

Thank you for the  info woodbowl.  An interesting design, were their any verticals between the 2x6's? and did you glue the 1 x's or just nail them.  I am thinking the 2x6"s were on edge since you said you put 1x6's over the joints.   We might have a little heavier snow load than you do!   :D  The Cub owner is a airline pilot and is now gone for two weeks and he did not get back with me on the wing span before he left, but I am thinking 40' is wide enough.  I was thinking of a flat truss ( floor truss) with an 8x8 for top and bottom cord with 4x4 M&T web and then using it as a crossbeam on shouldered joints in the bent.  Of course the problem is the 8x8  joints unless I can use the bent design jim showed us in an earlier post.  Or   ??? I might be able to incorporate your design into a crossbeam  Or  ??? sitting on top of a crossbeam Or  ??? under  And  ??? faced with glued and nailed 3/4" plywood on the  outside of the  bent  Or  ??? extend the diagonal boards as siding( glued and nailed) ::) Sorry for the ramblin, but you got me thinking.  Thanx again
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

woodbowl

Quote from: clif on April 21, 2006, 02:17:25 AM
Thank you for the  info woodbowl.  An interesting design, were their any verticals between the 2x6's? and did you glue the 1 x's or just nail them.  I am thinking the 2x6"s were on edge since you said you put 1x6's over the joints.   

No verticals, no glue, just 8 penny nails and 2 X 6's are on edge, just like a regular truss. A welded truss would be lighter, faster and probably stronger, not sure. A thick wooden truss on a house is mighty strong. I'll see if I can get some pics later on.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Raphael

40' overall should be just long enough (~38' between posts); unless otherwise modified the Super Cub has a wing span of 35' 3" and a length of 22' 7".
 Does the pilot want to be able to rotate the aircraft in the hanger or is he ok with entering through one side and leaving through the opposite side?  If he wants to rotate the aircraft (pivot under power) then 40' won't  be long enough and the structure will need to be as deep as it is wide.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!