iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What does 6/4 red cedar sell for in Florida?

Started by Daren, April 18, 2006, 07:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but here it goes anyway. I got an e-mail from my aunt who lives in west central Florida the other day asking me a question I didn't know the answer to, but I knew I could find out pretty quick. Her husband buys houses to fix up and sell/rent. She said he bought a property not long ago that had a "bunch" (don't know how many) of red cedar planks 1 1/2" x 7'-8' and 10"-12" wide. From what I got in the note, some were stacked in a shed and under an old porch like new, some are salvage from the covered porch itself. He doesn't need them and has to clean the place up. She wanted to know from me what he could get from them if he sold them. Any ballpark guesses I can shoot her back a note?
To me red cedar doesn't seem like a likely thing to use for a back porch, but that is what she said it is. She had written saying cedar and I asked is it white, yellow... and she said red. She has no way to send a picture, I just have to go by what she says.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fla._Deadheader

We youster get $2.00- $ 2.50 bd/ft. Wide, clear boards can fetch upwards of $6.00 and more, bd/ft.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Cedarman

Is it western red cedar or eastern red (aromatic)?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Daren

Cedarman, I can't say. She said "red cedar". My Dad is going down in a couple weeks to visit my brother and her, my aunt (his sister), he will know. But from what I can get through typed e-mails, I told her "Prices vary greatly" a cop out answer, but without pictures or anything I can't help her much. She has not even seen the lumber, her husband just said what he thought he had and told her to ask me. I don't even know how common it is down there, but 12" wide is worth more any place. In the first e-mail she sent my, I replied he may get $20-$25 apiece from them. That is not too far off  Fla._DHs low number. I am sending her a picture of erc this afternoon and ask if that is what she has.

Tom

I don't think it is Cedar either (as in Eastern Red).  It could be though.  I've seen it used for many outdoor projects with the thinking that it is rot proof.  It isn't but they don't consider the sap wood, and that's the first to go. 

If it is Eastern Red or Southern Red Cedar, a lot would depend on her access to the market.  It will run from $1 to $3 a board foot wholesale to a retailer and $3 dollars to $5 a board foot retail with the sky being the limit.

For about 15 or 20 years, Red Wood was popular as a deck material in florida and I'll bet that is what she has.  It became popular along about 1975 and was losing its popularity along about 1990.  During that time, it seemed that every new deck was either red wood or treated SYP.

I don't know what red wood is going for now but there would definitely be a market, especially in outdoor furniture.

It might be worth your bringing it home on a trailer.  :)

ellmoe

Daren,

I'm in west central Fla. (Bushnell). If they want to bring a piece by my mill, I'll take a look at it for you.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Daren

I am not familiar with Florida, they live in Homosassa Springs and I would say the place is not too far from there. I don't know where that is from you. Ron, my aunts husband travels alot on business, the rentals are a side thing. If he is heading your way I'm sure he would stop by. I will mention the offer, thanks ellmoe. My aunt Margie is real cool, she has helped me with stuff. I would like to help her if I could.

solodan

I would also guess redwood. If it is 2x 12 clear heart redwood I will send you my address and they can ship it to me for proper dispossal. ;)  The redwood the lumber yards sell these days usually only has one face that is red. :(  (why do they still call it redwood?  ???) What throws me off is the 7' and 8' lengths. Did someone cut them? Usually the 2x12 redwood is cut at 10' ,12', or 16'. I have never seen 8 footers sold, (I think you cut a 16' in half ;D) But if they say it's cedar, than maybe it is incense cedar. Lots of pencils are made in Florida, which means lots of incense cedar is shipped down there. It would be real nice to use for outdoor projects too, and it's red. :)

ellmoe

Daren,

Homassasa is about 30 miles due west of us.  We are on CR 48, between Floral City and Bushnell.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Daren

Good deal Mark. I sent her an e-mail last night telling her that someone from the Forestry Forum had offered to look at it if her husband could bring it around. I have not heard back from her yet. I had no idea you guys were practically neighbors. I hope we aren't wasting your time, I don't know what they have, but thanks for trying to help.

ellmoe

Thank You Sponsors!