iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FARMA Loader with Hydraulic Winch ?

Started by DR_Buck, April 17, 2006, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Has anyone with a FARMA loader put a hydraulic winch on the trailer using the same hydraulic unit?   I'm trying to find out if I can add "power beyond" on the output of the loader control valves without causing damage.   The winch I plan on using requires me to reduce the pressure from the 2500 PSI provided to the loader down to 1500 PSI for the winch.  The best place would be on the output of the valve body.  If it can take the back pressure I can add the pressure regulator and bypass ahead of the winch..

Any ideas?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Timburr

Most control valve manufacturers do not design (full hydraulic pressure) strength into their return galleries....you could be having a hot oil shower :D

However, if your valve has a blank plug that lines up with the central pressure galleries, you are in luck. Whip this out and take a peek.

A suitable adapter that connects the high pressure to external can be used. Normally, when no functions are being used, the central high pressure gallery dumps oil into the return, so that there is no load on the hydraulics / engine. This 'adapter' by-passes this dumping function, enabling hydraulic power take-off.

This may sound complicated, but I think you'll know what I mean when you examine your control valve.

Two other ways of maintaining hydraulic continuity (at greater cost).....an extra control valve slice with detent / lock.
                                                                                                           .....a flow dividing valve in the h.p. line before your valve control block

I'll be honest. My experience with FARMA is limited, so I can't give specifics.

Hope you sort it out.

Tim
Sense is not common

DR_Buck

I talked with JMS today.  They built my trailer and loader combo.   I was told that the outlet that dumps to the tank is OK to connect the winch to.   What I plan is adding a pressure regulator/ T-connection first, then connect the winch.  I'll add another T-connection coming out of the winch to the tank.  This puts the winch in series between the output of the loader controls and the tank and provides a bypass for the pressure relief valve.

The Milemarker winch has a "flow through" in the neutral position, so my loader controls will function normal when the winch is not being used.  Both the loader and the winch use the same 4 GPM flow rate.   The pressure is the only difference.  The hydraulic pump provides 2500 PSI for the loader, the winch can only take 1500 PSI.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!