iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Blade Guide Setup

Started by Trent, April 15, 2006, 05:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

I'm working on my homebuilt bandmill (18 HP). Just how rigid do the guides need to be? My movable guide can be deflected about 1/16" with about a 20 lb. pull. The stationary guide deflects only about half as much. I can make it more rigid if I need to. Also, should they be set so that when the blade hits something hard, one bearing hits the back of the blade before the other? Or, should they both be set the exact same distance from back of blade (.030" I believe?) Sorry I don't have pics. The controls on the lathe and milling machine fit my hand better than this keyboard and mouse. I've tried to upload pictures before, croped, chopped, sliced, and diced. Still too many mega pretzels or something? Anyway, I read the forum every day and have enjoyed it. Nothing like reading what the experts say.  I'm about 90% done and would not, could not have done it without you guys. Over the past 6 months I have spent lots of time, and money building the mill. I have lost track of both (probably don't want to know) Anyway, Thanks Again.    Trent
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

Tom

your guides should not move.  There purpose is to guide the blade.  You can't have the tail wagging the dog.

Not being familiar with how you are setting up you guides, it's hard to suggest a delicate adjustment like which side hits first.

Both guides should should hold the blade in place, so both should accept the same cutting pressure as the other.  You are trying to keep the blade from moving out of its plane.

A guide that has a ledge on the back, such as Wood Mizer's, is given a little tilt so that the trailing side of the guide wheel hits first.  That pulls the blade up tight against the guide wheel and both wheels get it.  Other than that, there is no reason for either guide to be out of plane. 

You really need to practice on your pictures so that you can show what you are talking about.  Posting pictures isn't difficult.  Like riding a bicycle, you have to do it once.

highpockets

Trent, just stay at it.  My wife's uncle says you can cure most any problem if you will beat it to death with money.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

D._Frederick

Trent,

I had the same problem on the carriage I bought with the guides deflecting, I modified  the supports holding the guide so that I had know noticeable defection with 50 lbs.

Both guides should support the back of the blade at the same time, otherwise you will be sawing crooks.

Thank You Sponsors!