iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sweetgum rafters

Started by highpockets, April 15, 2006, 07:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I cut some nice sweetgum 2 x 4's and am thinking about using them on a little shed for rafters. 
Will they weather ok ??????? 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

ARKANSAWYER

I do not know about down in Lower Arkansas but up here in the northern part them little darlings will twist like a snake.  Sweet gum has inter locking grain and tends to twist and bow alot.  It is one of them woods I saw extra thick then resaw later to get a flatter board.  Once dry it is stable and very pretty.
ARKANSAWYER

sawyerkirk

I cut the rafters for my shed years ago out of sweetgum, and they have done fine. A little twist on a few but nothing substantial. They came straight from the saw to the shed, so they didn't have time to dry much. it is an open lean to, so they are exposed to the elements a little.

scsmith42

I've used sweetgum for a variety of projects around the farm, most recently as nailers under a tin roof.  Once it's dry, as long as it's kept dry it seems pretty stable.  Some of the old farmers swear by it for siding.  Boards with a lot of pith in them seem to check pretty badly.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

TexasTimbers

Sweetgum for siding? I wonder if it would be possible to see a picture of that because I'd like to know how it weathers. ??? Siding is one of the details of our house I'm still up in the air about. Probably use ERC but I don't like the way it turns gray no matter what you do - at least I don't know of a way to keep it from happening.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

scsmith42

Kevin, I'll take some photo's of the old farm barn down the road and post them.  It will probably be later in the week, as I'm headed down to Florida in the morning to pick up the new concrete mixer.

Scott

tcsmpsi

Within my own 'building madness', what has always seemed as rather a 'work in futility', is that very, very seldom do structures' architecture apply enough roof overhang/porches/verandas/etc. to protect a structure and/or its occupants (keeping more elements from occupants' structural environment=warmer/cooler/dryer).

It has always seemed  ludicrous to me for an owner to go to unlimited measure to apply beautiful (and expensive) sidings, trims, etc, and then to have to try and depend on coatings to protect it from the elements.

Of course, I would do it.   It's what paid the bills.   ;D

I've never used sweetgum for anything other than very rough structural application.  And even then, treated it like the plague.

Down in this neck of the woods, it does not receive well. 

However, I do have trees, and perhaps with the proper care in its milling/processing it can be more utilized.   I have no intention of discounting its possibilities just because other generations.   ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

highpockets

Well I feel a little better now that I have some input from others.  I decided to try a truss today.  I used butted 9'  2x6's for the horizontal part to make an 18' span.  I used full 2x4's for the rafters.  I plasma cut 10 gauge plates and bolted all of  the joints together with 1/4 x 20 carriage bolts.  I hope it will work.

Thanks,

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

scsmith42

Kevin, et al:  I've just created a new post on the General Board and included some photo's of the sweet gum siding on the barn down the road.

I'm not sure how to copy and paste the link, so you'll have to do a search for it.  It's titled "sweet gum barn siding" with today's date.

Regards,

Scott

highpockets

Well I started on my trusses but ran out of 1"x10" for the panels. 

I bolted everything with carriage bolts and 11 gauge plate.

This is some 10' and 12' trusses I am building just because I have the lumber and want to keep it straight.  I guess I'll find them a place.  I ran out of back before I ran out of nails and boards.

Atleast I have a good crop of muscadines starting.  We can have wine

Louisiana Country boy

pineywoods

If you can get big enough log, try quarter sawing your sweetgum. It does make a difference . Sweetgum doesn't weather very well.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

firecord

QuoteI'm not sure how to copy and paste the link, so you'll have to do a search for it.

[-URL-] add the link here [-/URL-] Delete the- (dashes) and use no spaces!

highpockets

Firecord I am not sure where to research for it.  I did not see it in your album.  I never hung the rafters. I decided on 4" C perling. 

Louisiana Country boy

Thank You Sponsors!