iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$400/thousand for white pine is it possible?

Started by sjh, April 14, 2006, 03:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjh

I was buying white pine from two arborist pretty cheap (mostly #2 logs). They know claim they can get $400/ thousand from a logger.  The brothers claim it is going to Canada. The NY DEC website list white pine as $80 average in my area. This is just hard to believe.
Scott

SwampDonkey

You can get a good price here if you can get a load together in a timely manner (more concerned in warm months). But they are looking for the best of the best for the good prices. JDI is the buyer here. #2 is between $400 and $420/ th $$CDN at Doaktown NB. It saws white pine exclusively, but I don't think they are buying private wood at the moment.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

> They know claim they can get $400/ thousand from a logger

My reply would be "go ahead" or "good for you"  ;)

bitternut

I don't know about white pine log prices but I just bought some kiln dried clear white pine for $1 a board foot. It was 4/4 random width and length. Planed up real nice. Bought locally in Western NY. Not sure where the logs come from for sure but I imagine they are mostly local stuff.

mike_van

I must have got the deal of the year today - 3000 bf of white pine delivered for 10 cents a foot -  8)   Lots of 8 footers, lots of 12" logs, but a few real nice ones. Oh, lots of knots too -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

gtr

paying less than $200 on the west coast of Canada for nice stuff!!

gr

SwampDonkey

gtr, is that crown wood or private? I didn't think western white pine was too plentiful in BC.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gtr

private just bought 150 cubic mt. $40 per

gr

sjh

Rebocardo
The last logs I got in Dec they wanted $150 for 3 loads, and they were #2s or 3s. I said I have $100 and only 100.  Told him to unload the last load, and that's when I got the $400 song and dance.
I think they are trying to make a quick buck off me and its not working for them. There is a local mill that wants 10' or longer hard wood and they cut all theres 8' or less. I am finding that there log market is very small.

lord_kenwolf

400.00 doesnt sound that bad of a price.  up here #1 goes for 500-550.00 per thousands.  so 400 for #2's  is about right i would think. heck last summer we was paying 330.00 for spruce logs, and pine is a lot better then spruce.

SwampDonkey

I guess, get all you can get is my moto. I figure it took 200 years to get a pine 36 inches and if I can't get a decent price for all those years then she can stand tall a little longer in the woods. ;D

Ron Wenrich

I found these prices on pine in Portlandville, NY

Prime - $500/Mbf
Select - $450/Mbf
#1 - $165 for 8', $240 for 16'
#2 - $70

Prime grade is 18" diameter, 8' & up,  3 clear sides
Select grade is 16" diameter, 8' & up, 3 clear sides
#1 grade is straight logs free of rot, ants and worm holes
#2 is everything else.  Doyle rule

Price is one thing, but the logs have to make the grade.  A lot of guys hear a price and think all logs are worth that.  Not so.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I think select must be what they are calling # 2 at Irving. Has to be don't it? Their #3 is your #1 price. Their #1 is your prime.

I'm not sure if those are the mills designation for grades or if the marketing board made those designations. I would think that Irvings designation would be in line with yours in the US. I'm going to assume so.

Ron Wenrich

I believe its a mill designation on the grading system.  Most mills have their own set of rules, it seems.  Some make it up as they go.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I can relate to the last line, and the more I think of it, the more I realize some mills want to keep you guessing so they can catch you off guard. I've seen some prices drop as soon as you hit the mill gates.  :-\

mike_van

Not as many 12" as I thought, 300.00 for this load, 3000 ft.  - I don't know what scale was used, but on the bandmill, you come out over any of them. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

You guys price white pine down there like we do our wild black cherry and oak. Pulp prices. Actually, you were quite lucky for $300 because they wouldn't even load it on a truck for that price.

woodmills1

On my first two log deliveries it was 140 pallet 240 and then 360 for #1, but the mills up here have shut off pine temporarily.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawyerfortyish

I've been paying 220mbf for about a year. It has to be 12" or bigger and since most of it is knotty I don't grade it just unload and scale I don't get much pine around here anyhow.
  Just the other day I cut the biggest pine log i've had in a while it was a 12'-36"a guy that builds windsor chairs bought it for chair bottoms so I cut it 9/4x22". Most of the pieces only had 2 knots until I got almost to the center.

Thank You Sponsors!