iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

strange pine coloration

Started by getoverit, April 12, 2006, 09:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I posted this in the sawing board, but it might have been the wrong place to postĀ  the question?

While sawing SYP today, I ran across a log that had been lever cut when it was felled. TheĀ  angular piece of the log had a strange coloration in it, but i really didnt pay it much attention. I cut off about a foot of the log to square it up, and found that this coloration had gone that far up in the log. The log was felled about a month ago. I also noticed that this whole log had a reddish tint to the wood.

any idea what caused this?

I know what the blue stain is, and have seen a bunch of it. The other coloration didnt seem to affect the wood any, and was undetectable in the sawn lumber except for the noticable reddish tint. I've just never seen any coloration patterns like this before.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Pullinchips

are u talking about the color imediatly around the blue stain or out near the bark.  It could be a heart rot in the center starting or sap on the outer edge.  Its hard for me to tell any thing but the blue stain from the pic.

-nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

scsmith42

I've seen dark discolarations below metal in the log.  Based on the shape and location of the discoloration, I wonder if there is some type of small chain embedded?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

solodan

Ken,
I'm sure this won't help, but read what I posted just three days before you started this post.Red Stain ???

getoverit

I read the post about red streaks, but this really wasnt a streak (unless I cut most of it out in the piece I cut off. I did notice that in the boards near the pith of that log and near that spot that the wood seemed to be almost fat wood. It didnt seem rotten at all, but seemed that it may have had more dried pitch in it than the other wood.

I know that the blue stain was caused by the tearing of the sap wood off of the tree in that spot. It was just such an unusual thing to see in a pine to have that sort of discoloration and also that the whole tree seemed to be more reddish in color than any of the others I've cut. I cut the log  into 2x6's, and didnt come across any metal in the tree... my first thought when I saw it was that there must be something there, but the metal detector turned up nothing.

Down here in Florida, we have something on pine trees that the old timer's called "rust rot."  They told me that it was caused by cross-pollenation of pine trees with oak trees. I have some timber that has this condition (looks like an ulcer on the base of the tree, usually starting about a foot off of the ground and continuing up for a couple of feet). This condition sometimes causes what looks like a reddish orange powdery substance to form on the ulcer. From what I could tell, this tree didnt have rust rot though.

The wood from that tree (and a bunch of other trees) is now standing in a horse barn about half way between Tom's house and mine. I guess time will tell how it holds up.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

solodan

Got any pictures of them boards? :)

Tom

Ken,

Heart rot in SYP begins with vertical streaks of red like you see in you picture.  There are also vertical streaks of Red that are attributed to Mineral stain which doesn't affect the quality of the wood.

When you hear the term "Red Hearted" the people are talking about heart rot.  It seems to be most prevelant in Long Leaf.

I've heard that Blue Stain can also appear red and green as well as blue.

Blue Stain is the fungus stain that you see growing from the bark to the heart in "radius" streaks.  It is not caused by Physical damage, but by bark beetles.  Innoculation may be promulgated by a saw blade passing through infected material.  I don't know that, it's just a guess.

What you are calling "rust rot" is Fusiform Rust.  It is a fungal disease that requires two hosts. Pine is one and usually Oaks another.  The part of the disease that develops in hardwoods is difficult to see.  The disease attacks pine by causing cankers that inhibit the flow of nutrients to the upper part of the tree.  It also causes weak wood that will ultimately break, decapitating the tree.

Thank You Sponsors!