iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sanding irregular surfaces - sand sand sand & sand some more

Started by woodbowl, April 11, 2006, 11:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murf

I got as neighbour that makes his own sanding jigs, rubber balls cemented to a stem (to put in the drill) and covered with glue an then rolled in Silica sand.

Different sized balls give you different curves. Renew as required by recementing and adding more sand.

He keeps a veriety of them going at any one time.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

woodbowl

What kind of glue does he use, what type of rubber balls, what grit sand, how long do they last, what speed can he sand at, how good a job does it do, what neighbor, is he on the forum, wha........... ? Tellmetellmetellme ......... this is a good idea if it can hold up. I'm suprised I haven't seen something like that on the market.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Murf

Olen, I guess I better put my good visit'n cap and go fer a stroll with Deputy Dog .... he likes da pooch.  ;D

They looked like regular kids rubber balls, I think he mentioned they came from the dollar store.

The glue smells like some sorta two-part epoxy, does dat stuff come in 'stay flexy' formulas?  ::)

woodbowl

Quote from: Murf on April 19, 2006, 02:35:34 PM

The glue smells like some sorta two-part epoxy, does dat stuff come in 'stay flexy' formulas?

Yea, there's 90 sec, and 5 min set up times. There 15 min, an hour and what ever you want set up times. I wonder how well the silica sand sticks? It's got to be coated to make it flow smooth through the blaster hose.

Looks like I need to make a trip to Walmart. Thinking about getting me a beach ball.  8)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

getoverit

I was thinking that a nerf ball was what he was talking about...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Murf

Ok, I'll bite, wazza nerf ball?  ::)    Inquiring minds wanna know?

I know what a Murf........ oh never mind. :D

woodbowl

If this works good, I was just thinking about making a big sanding ball.

beenthere

If gluing silica sand onto 'rubber' works, then maybe a trailer-size inner tube blown up on a small trailer rim without the tire would work. Thinking of your wood bowls and needing a large diameter spinning in the bowl.
Mount the rim with inflated tube on a lathe (maybe the outboard end of the head block) and hold the shallow wood dough bowls up to it. 

Then too, maybe a sanding belt (like 2-3" wide) running over a narrow tire like a wheelbarrow tire and over a driving tire would make for some internal bowl sanding possibilities too. On the order of a band on a band mill that runs on tires.

Or contact someone at 3M to see what technology they have that could be adapted to a flexible, spinning sanding material. They have some interesting pads that can be used for sanding and possibly could be adapted to a flexible wheel-like sanding head.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Murf, them nerf balls have been out for 25 years or more now, I remember when they first came out, all the kids needed one. ;D It's just spongy rubber as near as I can tell, I don't think it takes on water though.

Ya gotta google it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Pieces of old flip flops make good hand-sanding pads for bowls.

SwampDonkey

I could see Tom out in his flip flops sanding bowls. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Murf

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 21, 2006, 04:23:26 PM
I could see Tom out in his flip flops sanding bowls. ;D

I sure hope you see him more than just flip-flops!  :o

getoverit

This may be a tad bit off topic, but since we are talking about sanding irregular surfaces....

how does one go about sanding in the shape of someone's backside into the seats of rocking chairs?  Is this done by hand or???

woodbowl

I saw a machine that did this at the IWF show in Atlanta several years ago. BTW, .... IWF will be comming up again this Aug.

Tom

There is also a curved draw-knive that is used to make these indentations.  I've also heard it called a bowl knife.

Timburr

Getoverit,

Over here, the true Windsor chair craftsmen use an adze type tool with a curved blade. They stand on the seat blank, and hang and swing the 'adze' between their legs ( please..no implications ) rough cutting the profile. Definately an aquired skill... I wonder how many boots (or flip flops) have been adzed whilst learning :o
Sense is not common

Don P

Keep your toes up  ;D

The curved drawknife gets called a scorp around here too.
I use a angle grinder with a chainsaw wheel on it to do roughing of those kinds of shapes.

getoverit

Now a chain saw wheel could be a good tool to have around :) Where did you get it and what does it look like? got any pics?

DanG

Ken, its just a little wheel with a saw chain on it. It fits on a 4½" side grinder.  I think you can get one from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  The thing was invented and produced in Tallahassee, but I think they outsourced it to China.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

Better known as the suicide wheel.   One day I'll tell you the story about the day I got mine in the mail and had on a new "t" shirt.  ;D ;D  :(

Jeff

Quote from: woodbowl on April 23, 2006, 10:23:11 AM One day I'll tell you the story about the day I got mine in the mail and had on a new "t" shirt.  ;D ;D  :(

O.K. I'm ready for the story. Tell away ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

getoverit

Tom

This sounds like it will be a real "rip" snorter.   :D :D

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!