iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Log Arch

Started by mitchash, April 10, 2006, 10:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchash

I just found this site and am really inpressed with all he info! We have been doing small logging jobs on my fathers land (just getting the wind damaged trees out before they go bad) the last couple of years with 4X4 ATVs and a small (16hp)4X4 tractor, we barrow a 550 John Deere dozer for the big stuff. We are interested in getting ATV log arches. How well do they work? How are they for getting in a tight spot? What about one with a winch? Is there any plans out there to build your own? Thanks,   Ash

Part_Timer

Welcome to the forum

If ya go to the search button on the top tool bar and type in log arch you will find several threads.  Also go into the image archive and look around.  There are lots of pictures.

Here is one of one I made.

I use it mostly behind the truck but it works fine behind the quad

There is enough info on here to make one yourself

Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

RSteiner

I made one 20+ years ago to go behind a small tractor.  My son has used it behind his ATV many times the biggest log he has transported this way was a white pine 12 feet long 14" at the small end, it was the second log after the butt log. 

The only problem you need to watch out for is the log weight when going down any loose steep ground.  I guess tongue weight would be a consideration also not wanting to over load the tow point of the ATV.

Randy
Randy

blueox

Ash,

Welcome to the forum. I've seen the Future foresty log arches. They are well built and he has small to big. To go behind ATV's, snowmobiles, your car!! Etc...They're website is www.futureforestry.com

Good Luck

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

solodan

I called Future Forestry last week and was going to order one of their arches. I talked with Mark and he told me to wait till he sent me the video. Well I watched it yesterday, and now I am gonna order 2 of them ??? Their arches  do well in  tight spots, where as all the others I have seen do not. You can back up with  their arches loaded. The video is pretty cool, especially the 50" log one guy picks up and pulls down the road with a Volvo :o

IndyIan

My neighbour made this one up and it is just about right for an atv, light enough to lift over a log and the tires follow in the atv tracks.  There is a cable attached to a boat winch which picks up the log and I used a chain to take the weight off the pullies and into the middle of the arch.  This gave some extra tongue weight which helps out an atv quite a bit. 
The biggest log I've moved is a 9' 20" on the small end white oak...  1500lbs and it could probably do a bit more.
Here it is with a smaller white pine log 

Onthesauk

I watched Mark from Future Forestry do a demo at a DNR class a couple of years ago with a Honda 400 and one of his arches.  Light enough to throw over a log but sturdy enough to haul a pretty good sized log.  I've got one of their smaller hand arches but kind of think I've got too much slope for the bigger one.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

solodan

Onthesauk ,

How about their fetching arch? That one seems that it would work well on slopes.  Well I guess I will find out when I get one, cause it  is plenty steep down here. :)

Frank_Pender

The photos with the Volvo are he and his car.  The car is now history, as his daughter got sideswiped and the care was totaled.  His doughter was not injured.  No, she was not hauling a log, at the time. 
Frank Pender

solodan

I figured it was Mark in the car ,I just didn't know if it was really his car or just a marketing tactic to show that you don't need a huge vehicle. :)
Well, I'm waiting for him to call back, so I can order a fetching arch and the little JR arch, and the extension handles for both. I would have overlooked the little one, based solely on the price, but after watching the video I think I would use the small one quite a bit.  ;D

Quebecnewf

I had a guy build one for me . Mine is about the same as all the rest. I just have a ring  with a hook attached to it on over a sloping piece of pipe that runs down at about 30 degrees. Back up over the end of the log choke it with a chain and hook the hook into the closest link of chain. Then as you move foward the strain on the log causes the ring to slide up the pipe lifting the end of the log of the ground. and away you go. When you get where you want just back up and the ring slides back down the pipe lowering the log to the ground. Remove the chocker chain and go get another one.

Works great but the only thing that I have found is that you must be real good at backing up in order to place the arch in just the right spot over the log, I think there is a picture of this in my gallery.

Quebecnewf

HARLEYRIDER

I just built myself a logging arch for the ATV. It's simular to one of the sponsors arch, but I built mine the same width as my wheeler, and put a 2000lb electric winch  and battery box on it. I have  a twist-lock plug  that plugs into the atv's battery for charging. I welded chain hooks all over it, to give me many options for securing the log for transport and tounge weight. I have  about $400 into it including the winch. I'll try it out this week.
Greenwoods Timberworks

sbishop

here are pics of the one I made a couple of months ago...hauled some big logs with it!

Please use The Forum Gallery for photos.  IM's are legal too.
admin

I got the plan from this address, I think I got it from someone here!

Good luck

mitchash

Couldn't find the pictures or plans for the log arch. Ash

HARLEYRIDER

Finally got around to taking pictures and putting them on here.

Greenwoods Timberworks

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

HARLEYRIDER

Quote from: getoverit on April 25, 2006, 09:47:34 PM
Nice looking arch !
Thanks.
I just have to weld in a guard to protect the winch now. ...and maybe put in another pulley to get the cable out of the way. The tires and battery was free, and I have just over $400 into it...... including the winch. I'll plug into the ATV's 12v, to charge the winch battery.

Work smart, not hard
Greenwoods Timberworks

Part_Timer

That is a nice looking arch.  How wide is it between the wheels?

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

HARLEYRIDER

Quote from: Part_Timer on April 26, 2006, 10:36:56 PM
That is a nice looking arch.  How wide is it between the wheels?

Tom

Thanks Tom

26 " between the verticles. I figured anything bigger than 24" shouldn't be pulled by a 800lb ATV :D. ...and Its the same width as my ATV....50"
Greenwoods Timberworks

Part_Timer

Makes sence to me.

We had mine behind the truck and were pulling log out this winter.  A buddy of mine decided that he wanted to help.  We got the log in the arch and I backed the truck up he hooked it up and got in.  We started out of the woods clanking and banging all the way.  We started up the last hill and I stopped the truck.  He asked what's wrong.  I told him look back there.  He turns around and there is the tongue of the arch sticking straight up in the air.  Cory forgot to lock the tongue to the ball. :D :)   Oh well newbies.   

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Mooseherder

Thanks to the education received on the forestry forum.   ;D
I saw the biggest Logging arch ever yesterday being pulled behind a pick-up.
It had to have been 12 foot long.
Said to the guy with me. You know what that is?  He said no.
I proudly proceeded to tell him. 8)

HARLEYRIDER

I used my arch to lift and try to ove a red oak log 22"D  16'log (2700lb). I doubled the (2K) winch with a snatch block, and it lifted it :o. but it was just too heavy to move with a 900 lb ATV  (with 4wd not working). I think I have to move the pulley foward to put more log weight on the hitch. right now, it lifts up on the hitch when lifting a log.
But it lifted the log enough to put the bunks under it....and mill with the ATS ;D
Greenwoods Timberworks

getoverit

Do any of y'all actually go down the road with a log arch? I'm wondering if the DOT will flag ya for not having a bottom in the trailer, or if it is ok to transport a log this way???
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

solodan

Probably depends on where you are at. I wouldn't get on the highway, but the less traveled county roads might be ok.Just last week I saw a guy skidding 16 footers 20" Ponderosas down the road and around the corner to his house. Then he would lower the plow and roll them up hill into his yard. Then after all this he bucked them into 16" rounds. ::)

Like I mentioned before, Mark from Future Forestry can be seen in his video towing a huge 50" log down the road behind his Volvo. :o

highpockets

Getoverit, I always wondered the same thing.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!