Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Sure is a thorny bugger, must be related to devil's walking stick. Maybe ???
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Rosacea, aint big enough to log.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

crtreedude

That looks like the bottom of a young Ceiba...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

Might be one great, big, humongus, rose bush.  :-\

SwampDonkey

I'll agree I seen some pretty spiny rose bushes, especially those Rugosa roses.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riles

Is this one of your backyard trees, or are you pulling pictures off the internet?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

crtreedude

It isn't one of his trees, but one of mine. He was down at Finca #1. I suspect I even know which tree it is!

(We don't have very many ceibas and it is planted near a canal we dug)

Tom

what the heck is a Ceiba?   Well I had to go look.
It is a tree with a cousin that is a Boabab.  That is the huge, slick barked, bulbous looking tree found in Africa and made famous in the film "The Gods must be Crazy".

http://www.ceiba.org/ceiba.htm

Why does this article pick on Costa Rica for cutting ceiba for pallet wood?

crtreedude

I would think it would be too soft for pallet wood. Usually it is used to make concrete forms. However, it is nearly gone so MINAE is considering a total ban - except for plantation grown. Not a very valuable wood - but even wood for concrete frames goes for a decent price (up to 50 cents a BF).

Very important for the environment, it is an emergant.

This is an example of the base of a big one - and it is at least 200 feet tall and the canopy extends that far.

SwampDonkey

Thanks Tom, that's a worth while tree to protect from what I've read there and can see it's a great looking tree to have around. Maybe that is why Fred has them along his ditch.  :)

crtreedude

The credit goes to Hector - he bought them and planted them around the waterways. We have lots of trees I don't even know the names of that show up. When you have about 2,000 to choose from, you sure can confuse the Gringo!

I can recognize about 30 or 40 trees - I have a ways to go!

sandman2234

We had a piece of one of those, about that size, in the office of a previous job. I was told it was the imfamous "ugly stick".
   Get beaten by that, and your UGLY!!!
      David from jax

Thank You Sponsors!