iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can some give me an estimate on this?

Started by squirrel hunter, April 10, 2006, 01:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirrel hunter

I am looking at 120 acres that is priced real good, Can somelook at this timber estimate an give me an estimate as to what you think I could get for the timber if I had someone come in and get it, and give me a percentage.  It's fairly flat land , I don't think it would be hard to log.  Also I think pulp is going for $55 cord around here right now.  I'm just not sure if I'm reading this cart right.

Thanks,
Zac

Texas Ranger

Any of the southern forester, like me, can give you a rough idea, but much depends on a local market, which  most of us do not have.  You may want to look at and ask the same question at: 

http://forestry.about.com/mpboards.htm

You  will have to start a (free) registration, but after that it is similar to this board, but based in Alabama.

They will probably also recomment you hire a consultant, or call Alabama Forestry Agency for assistance.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

Yes, contact your local Conservation District Forester, DNR Service Forester or a professional Consulting Forester servicing your "local area". You need to get information on local markets and timber prices for an accurate appraisal of your area to determine the econonomic values of the property.
~Ron

Phorester

Don't just go to a couple of timber buyers and ask, "what would you give me for this timber if I bought this property?"  They are working for themselves, not for you.  That does not mean that they will try to steal your timber.  But they are potential buyers, and as any buyer of anything, they will lowball the money to give themselves some room for negotiation.

You need somebody who is working for you to give you an appraisal as to what it is actually worth in an open market with an informed buyer and an informed seller. 

That would be the professional foresters local to your area which have already been recommended. 

Thank You Sponsors!