iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand-power tools

Started by beenthere, April 10, 2006, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Stopped in a one-man furniture shop in Story City, IA and looked at a good array of hand tools used to make period furniture all by hand. Rip saw with power feed shown, with a couple more pics in my gallery. Set up quickly, to rip a board to width. Building furniture was the aim, with several pieces on display, along with a museum of old hand tools. Quite a collection and a good 'see' for anyone travelling north of Ames, IA along I35 (on Broad Street {main drag}). Also can see more info about the business and the proprietor at http://www.rvp1875.com/

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Other than many other 'neat' hand tools in this shop, was this large treadle lathe. The owner said it came from the Amana Colonies area and he built the flywheel arrangement, which he put high and behind, rather than the usual 'underneath' location to the lathe.

Said he was looking for a couple oilers like the one that is on the head block (it leaks and he is missing one on the other end).  I thought the steam show people might have sources for these oilers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JimBuis

Cool stuff............I like his website.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

fat olde elf

Great web site........Some of those tools are older than Tom or me !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks  !!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Homer

I think that type oiler is available @ Mcmaster Carr.
Homer

Thank You Sponsors!