iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The definitive which mill?

Started by DougM, November 18, 2002, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougM

Hi all

With so many posts on this forum and other lesser forums :D I thought it would be nice if there was one place for all the information that would be easy to read and compare.

Stop me if this has already been done.

If everyone could post to their experience with their mill or one that they have extensive experience running. My thought is that you make a list of the things you like, love, dislike, and hate about your mill. Let us know what mill and model you use and what features it has. Try to stick to your mill.

At some point I would be happy to compile the info into some useful form.

What do people think?

Doug

Jeff

What are your plans for the compiled information Doug?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DougM

re-post putting all the info from silmilar mills together if that makes sence.

ADfields

I would think for the info to be usefull you would need a form that we all fill out with the same things on it.   Things like "How do you like the controls on your mill, on a 0 to 10? Or would you buy this saw now with what you know about it?" so you will have something other than a lot of talk.   Not that I dont love the talk but for what your dooing it just clouds things up.
Andy

sawmill_john

I think you have a good idea, but there are many variables and to ask opinions of operators of varing degrees of experiance is fine when the information is taken in context.   When complied it looses consistancy.  I just like seeing what people are sawing and what they are building with the material.  Good luck I've been checking back to see if any one responds.
john

Jeff

I also thought it a good idea, but I think what you would get if you polled 1000 or even 5000 people would be 1000 or 5000 different reasons that could be boiled down to 10 or 15 different mills by 3 or 4 manufactures.

"I bought a mill this color cause I am color blind and can't see that color". ;) Every body has thier likes and dislikes. I think it would be much easier to find the difinitive sawmill owner!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

arj

I think it`s a good idea, BUT, there`s a lot of guys like me with not much sawing time and lots of opinions. I like my mill, BUT, I`v only made a few cuts on any other mills, so I don` t know if this or that is good or bad. I do think that all the mills made today are pretty good. So knowing what you want to be able to do with your new mill is more importian than the color.This is what I did when looking for a mill. The one I picked was the one that gave me the most for my money at that time. I have no regets, BUT, if I was buying one today it mite be a different color. As the products change each year, which brand is the best buy also changes.
                   arj

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Minnesota_boy

I'd be happy to give you an opinion (I'm pretty opinionated) but it would only be about one brand of mill, as I'm too busy sawing to try out any other mill.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

The mill I want has to be able to cut well day in and day out.  I have to be able to drag it down cow paths and over hills and dale and up the creek a time or two.  I do not want to work on it but saw with it.  When I have to work on it as has to be done with all things mechanical I want to be able to fix it and get parts for my mill.  I want information from people who know and care about my mill.  :P  I want to call and find out about it next year also.  I need to be able to make very good lumber from poor logs.  I want to make great lumber from good logs and do it sitting on the side of a hill.  I looked for 2 years and when I found the mill that could do that I bought it.
   I am getting close to half a million bdft and 15,000 miles towed and still make 1/4 closet linning.   She handles large logs and small with every thing in between.  There are 2 flaws with the mill but I can live with them and may some day fix them.  When I call the maker you would think that I was the only customer and the largest.  
    Can I cut 10,000 bdft a day?  NOPE!
    Can I cut 72 inch logs?  NOPE!
    Can I cut tramp metal? Not very good!
    Can I cut with my WoodMizer every day?  Your DanG right!
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Noble_Ma

Hey Arkkansawyer.  Can you buy spare parts for your WM at the local industrial supply store?  My mill is no where the caliber of yours or most of the forum folks for that matter.  I can buy all the parts for my mill at any industrial supply.  At this point, that works for me.  I only have to call about the what if's or how come, not the how much?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking WM just asking a question.

Bibbyman

I ain't ARKANSAWYER but I can answer that question.

About everything that ain't painted orange, roller guides, or a printed circuit board on a Wood-Mizer can be had at the local small engine shop, auto parts dealer, farm supply store, Westlakes hardware, or industrial supply place.  

Wood-Mizer's extensive parts manual with exploded view drawings and will often list the OEM supplier's name and part number.  I've called in and had the service guy tell me he'd be glad to ship the part out but it's a standard such and such I could probably get locally and has often added information on an alternative part that would also work.  I've used this to an advantage when the mill is down and getting it back up quickly is more important than waiting for a part from Wood-Mizer.  (Usually only a day by UPS)

If it's a normal wear part that is starting to go out,  I'll order it from Wood-Mizer ratter than look all over a couple of towns for it. (Our little town don't have squat.)  I've found the prices through Wood-Mizer as good or better than what I've found locally.  I also check to see when there will be a Wood-Mizer demo in my area and arrange to pick up blades or parts from them there - thus save shipping.
Sawing since '94

Noble_Ma

That's OK Bib, I should have just thrown the question out to the general WM population.  What I failed to add in my post was the shipping charge.  Most of the parts are heavy and make for some expensive shipping charges.  I guess I just added another feather in WM cap ;D

Noble_Ma

Bibbyman

I know a lot of other mill manufactures make a marketing point that the mechanical components of their mills can be had locally.  And that's true.  But it's also just a true about Wood-Mizer.  When you pull the shielding off, you'll find bearings, pulleys, belts, nuts, bolts, pumps, valves, hoses, most cylinders, switches, motors, engines, etc. are industry standard stuff.

Wood-Mizer fabricates the electronic circuit boards, saw head, frame and other major metal components.  Under normal use and maintenance, these parts are not likely to fail.  And if they did, they could be replicated or repaired at a local machine/welding shop.   If I remember right, the frame has a five-year warrantee.
Sawing since '94

BRP

I hate to even say this because the WM clan will have a field day but if I had it to do over then WM would be the one.Matter of fact it was my first choice but the final tally was $35,000 thats $15,000 more than I wanted to spend.But hey I have made so many mods that I'm thinking of removing the manufacturers stickers and putting my own.It will soon be paid for and I got it like I want.

ARKANSAWYER

Noble_Ma
    I guess you got your answer already.  When I need something besides blades I will see how easy it is to get parts.  I can get my belts  for my mill at NAPA and engine parts at the local small engine store.  I have a spare set of roller guides on hand and drive belt.  Wanda is a low maintance gal.  I have not had to "re-do" my mill just saw and saw and saw.   We were in 4x4 yesterday to get to the site and were set up on the side of a hill and sawed a 25 inch 16 ft and 24 inch 8 ft pine log.  We sawed them where they fell.   Back support would not get low enough to catch and we were tired of digging it in so we just sawed it.  I had to stand on the front of the mill to run the controls and be able to reach the lever to engage the engine.   2 1/2 hours and 684bdft later we got the mill back onto the truck and slid down the hill and across the creek.   It was not level, not all of the supports were locked but ever board was true and there is one happy man on the west end of Bruno Ridge Road.  I will tryto get the pictures down loaded tonight and post them.
  HAPPY TURKEY DAY 8)
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

noblefir

Hi, I'm a rookie thats going to build a mill, and as far as the color its gonna be green. My wife hates seeing all of my toys laying around the place and green would blend in much better. One thing I'm adding that I haven't seen on any other mill is a 9 hp trim saw (14" circ.) that will follow right behind the band, be on a sideways slide for adjusting and should eliminate an extra cut and will provide a 90 degree edge up to 5 inches deep. Thanks Bibbyman for inviting me over from the woodweb. Prentice.

Bibbyman

You're welcome!

I've seen what you are talking about on big circle mills and I think some have been used on bandmills.  Bet there is something on it here on the Forestry Forum.
Sawing since '94

Brian_Bailey

I haven't seen their adv. lately but Western Sawyer Sawmills had a bandmill that had two edger blades that ran behind the band. Looked like a neat setup, don't know how well it actually worked though.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

ARKANSAWYER

OK  HERE IS THE PICTURE  I PROMISED LAST WEEK BEFORE  I ATE TO MUCH TURKEY AND GOT ICED IN.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

chet

Still looks like a heck of a lot of ice on everything!  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!