iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

17% rate hike in private health insurance!

Started by jrdwyer, April 08, 2006, 10:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdwyer

How I hate the necessary evil of health insurance.

The company we have sent us the yearly premium and it's up a whopping 17%. This is with a $10K/year deductible plan we have had for the last two years with $0 paid by AMS (American Medical Security).

So why the big increase if our family is healthy and have had no claims? The only thing I can guess is lots of people are really sick in this country and/or the $10 copay method is grinding the whole system into the ground. Another reason may be that big insurance needs bigger profits. AMS was bought out by PacifiCare which merged with UnitedHealth Group. You would think a larger company with fewer paper pushers would result in lower premiums. Obviously this is not the case.

What I do know is that waste abounds in the healthcare system in this country. Advertisements on the internet, newspapers, and television by local hospitals telling us they are alive and still open for business. DUH! Ads galore for half proven new drugs on TV by big pill companies. Little on no price competition amongst providers for medical services. And worst of all, politicians with the best health care plan in the country who could care less.

So I guess we spend 5 hours looking through the last 3 years of medical receipts to accurately fill out the lengthy insurance forms and spin the bottle with a new company. Maybe the next one won't call us up afterward and record the very same questions we just filled out (AMS deposition). 

Don_Papenburg

My insurance guy told me that to keep cost down buy a new policy every other year ,if you are healthy.  Even with the same company .  They think that new customers are great and will give them the best rates ,only too raise them as the years go by.   Most people will not move to another company  and they know that. So stickit to your reliable customers.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WH_Conley

Sold my business , ins went up til I couldn't afford to keep it on a private plan. Joined the Carpenters Union , worked all over, decent money, good ins. Times changed, ins went up. By the time the smoke cleared, bottom line money not that great. Get  $.50 raise, ins went up $1.00. Couple that with cheap hotel rooms, living out of a suitacse, not seeing family. Kinda leaves you not kowing where to turn.
Bill

Bibbyman

Don't even get me started on health insurance.  Too late...

I worked at my office job for years just so I could retire from the company at 55 and keep group health insurance.  Last August 1 I did just that.  After a lot of problems getting switched over from "active" status to "retired",  we were paying $230/mo for full coverage on the both of us. 

Then come January.  I go in to get a prescription refilled and they tell me my insurance is no good.  We get back with the company's benefits center and we're told that the insurance company we had is no longer one of the choices so they switched us to another with equal coverage. 

We got our next bill for $913.  Mary was unhappy – to put it as pleasant as possible. (I came into the house and Mary was slamming pots and pans down on the stove and ranting and raving.  I asked Alex if she'd already made Grandma mad. She said quietly, "No,  I think the insurance man did that.".)

Now they've got us. We can only make changes in our coverage once a year unless we have a "life changing event".  Even if we were able to change,  our insurance would be something like $400/mo for nothing but a big deductible plan with no co-pay of anything.

We've been trying for months to get insurance from anywhere.  But a little over two years ago I went to the Dr. with high blood pressure (wonder where I got that!) and I'm now taking some medication to keep it under control. Also,  we run a sawmill and that's something like logging so no one what's to write a policy for an occupation like that. Mary has talked to dozens and we've got policies written up with three companies but none have went through and been accepted.

Now they've got us right where it hurts. (no Smiley available for this event.)  Can't even buy poor coverage at a bad price and if we drop out of our group plan where I worked,  we'll never get back in.

So.. you think you've got screwed by the big insurance companies – try a 336% increase on for size!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ernie_Edwards

Good health care is not only available to the Washington politicians. It is also available to those who choose to be a financial drain on society.

If you want to be unresponsible for yourself the government will take care of you, with better care than the responsible folks can afford.

Guy a couple miles away would call an ambulance to go to the emergency room for a sniffle, all paid for by our taxes. I can't afford to go to the Dr. for legitimate complaints cause the ins I have has such a high deductable. This high deductable insurance is by itself barely affordable and causes us to pass on other things we want. All to feed a medical system that has gone to @#$% in a handbasket.

Guess if I had the answer I would run for president and fix it, but I don't have the answers,and I doubt anyone really does.

Lots of problems at the core of it, starting with our sue happy society, followed closely by government regulations(interferance). Deadbeats are next on the list.

High health ins is just a result of many problems.

I was looking foward to today, a nice local auction and improving spring weather and somehow health ins has now put a damper on things.

crtreedude

We don't have health insurance. Honest. Now, I live where open heart surgery is about 25,000 USD - and by the way, Costa Rica is considered to have very good health care. (And my heart is strong as an ox - I use this as an example)

Going to a private clinic - 20 bucks - not co-pay, full-pay.

All our workers have health insurance AND retirement AND disability. It represents about 40% more than their salary. The public health insurance has it's problems, but they do the best they can with what they have, and it isn't that bad.

If you can afford NOT to have insurance, insurance is a rip-off to me. Imagine if you took all that money and put it in some kind of account.

Honestly, what I really like about us not having Insurance is this: We eat well, we excercise, we keep our weight down. Just like your car or your mill. We figure we are going to have to pay to fix us if we get sick, so we better do everything in our power to keep ourselves healthy.

Want to know why the health cost are skyrocketing there?

1. Malpractice
2. Pill of the day treatments, I swear you can't get out of the doctor's office without him giving you a pill.

Once I walked into a Doctor and had a problem with my right knee. He looked at it and said it was a touch inflamed and prescribed a drug - didn't help. (I was having to keep driving, so ...) Well, I did a lot of reading and found that if I were to walk every day for about 30 minutes, there was a good chance it would go away.

Yep, it did. Next time I saw the doctor I told him that - his response? "Oh yeah, that will work too."

I really wouldn't mind insurance except for this... Everytime I have tried to collect from an insurance company they act like I am trying to rip them off and that I don't have a legitimate claim. I am sure by mentioning this, I am opening up a flood gate of person experiences out there. We pay for insurance to protect us when we need it - and then we have to fight them to get what we have coming to us or convince them to let us have the treatment that will solve the issue, or at least help.

Costa Rica has almost the same life expectancy of the USA, but their health costs are a fraction. Makes you wonder why. And it isn't all explained by the differences in salaries.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Burlkraft

I got hit with a 10% increase this year. Last year was the first year in 30 that I can ever remember that my insurance guy wuz cryin' cuz the insurance co. lost money on us ;D ;D ;D ;D

Our premiums last year were just about $200,000.00. They had to pay out $8,000.00 more than they got from me. I wuz pretty happy with just a 10% increase. Now if that happens next year too then we'll probablly be looking at 20% or more. I have 62 employees and lots of companys like to get us, but we usually end up changin' companies  every 3 years or so. I hate shopping for insurance, but ya gotta have it. :( :( :(
Why not just 1 pain free day?

thedeeredude

I don't like health insurance.  I'm still on my parents plan but in a couple months, I'm on my own.  I don't think I want health insurance either.  I might go to the doc once a year.  I hate insurance >:(

Frank_Pender

If I was to raise my rates for sawing just the Firs, I would have an increase of $44.20 a thousand for sawing.  That increasse would be at $304.20 a thousand.  I suspect my custom sawing would take a deep dive in production and flatline out. ;)
Frank Pender

Radar67

I've had a homeowner's policy for the last 11 years (at $800 a year). I was just notified that due to Katrina payouts, my insurance is being dropped  >:(. Oh, did I mention I have never filed a claim on my insurance? I have to agree with CR, had I put that money in a seperate savings account or something, I would have $8800 plus interest sitting there for when I need it. It's time for the government to put some limits on these insurance companies.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Frank_Pender

You would have to have a very spending lobby to out do the insurance jerks and thieves.
Frank Pender

jrdwyer

Just had to vent on this issue.

In reality, our 17% increase is nothing compared to many people on private health insruance who are older but not yet on Medicare and/or have some moderate medical condition that makes private insurance way to expensive.

I would write another letter to my elected officials, but I am tired of getting back form letters.

Sometimes I feel our country mirrors companies like Enron. Everything is great and rosy until it all comes crashing down.

What a beautiful Sunday we're having. I love the cool Spring air and the green grass and the crabapples blooming.

crtreedude

Insurance is based on fear. Fear you will get sick, fear you will get hurt, fear you will get in an accident.

Used to, people saved, and their extended family helped them out. Made you do a good job raising your kids I bet!

I had an accident last week - total out of pocket so far I think is about 200 bucks. No insurance. My car is only worth about 4,000 USD. Why have insurance to where I have to argue with them (in Spanish no less) that I really deserve the money?

Better to have a cushion - and save more money. And perhaps get some new glasses...  ::)

Ron Wenrich

My understanding of why rates are high is that hospitals take care of those uninsured who use the emergency room as a doctror's office.  All those charges are spread out to those who pay the bills.  Kinda like shoplifting.

The other problem is with the tons of bureaucracy that is involved with all those insurance companies.  They play games of tag where the hospital submits a bill, the insurance company denies it, and keep on going round and round.  Who pays for the game?  Rate payers.

I remember the days before insurance.  You would go to the doctor's office and sit there.  There was no receptionist or nurse.  The doc would open the door and say "Next".  Everyone in the room knew who was next.  They kept track. 

When you went into the office, he checked you out, and if you needed medicine, he would go to his cupboard and get it out.  No need to go to the pharmacy.  And everyone could afford his fees.  And the doc also made house calls.  How times have changed.

Then the insurance companies showed up and created layers of paperwork.  Its never been the same.  Same goes for dentists.  Used to be reasonable before they got insurance programs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don_Papenburg

Ron , it wasn't 15 years ago that we had a doc here that did just that.  After one visit  I asked him how much do I owe him ? He looked at me like he was confused , said I give you no shot no pills so you owe nothing.

My brother was there one time and nobody was around , He was just about to leave and the doc came in the back door wipeing his hands.  He told my brother that he was in back putting a new motor in his caddy ,and he would clean up and be right with him.

Cedarman

21 months ago my wife and I got physicals. We are in good health and active. 20 months ago we canceled our health insurance. Cost was about $1000 per month.  So far we have saved over $20,000 that has lowered our debt. 

I went to the doctors office with  a pain in my guts. Found out I had a small bout of diverticulitis.  Told her I had no insurance and payment would be cash.  My bill for her was $60.00.  Prescription $15.00 and blood work because I hadn't had it done for almost 2 years was about $120.00

Another reason that I dropped insurance is that you can get most medical bulls reduced to 1/3 by negotiation.  This is what the insurance companies pay. 

I am insuring myself.  We do what we can to stay healthy and avoid accidents.  In four years, we will be about $60,000 ahead if you take compound interest and rising health care costs.  This will buy us $180,000 in health care if we need it.

Am I gambling, yes, but having health insurance does not make me any healthier.  That is my job.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

This subject is a touchy one with me so I hope I don't offend anyone!!!
I am forced to have insurance through my job as a term of employment. I pay over a 1000.00 dollars a month for family coverage. Yeah it sound real good to go without coverage I could save a ton of cash. This is the problem with that deal lets, say you blow your knee out playing volleyball in the yard. Knee problem total cost 12,000.00 plus. If you save your premiums great you pay cash. If you didn't then what? Or you have a serious car wreck 50,000.00 100,000 dollars or more you don't have the money. You make a deal with the hospital to pay 1/2 or 1/3 who picks up the rest of the tab? Everybody else picks it up and it drives the cost of hopital care up for everyone. I have known folks who didn't carry home insurance "I don't need insurance it is a rip off" then thier house burns down and they cry the blues and ask for handouts.
They don't carry crop insurance, or flood insurance or health insurance THEY SAVE ALL KINDS OF MONEY then when something bad happens everyone else has to bail them out.
Insurance is a total rip off but if you have worked your butt off to get ahead and you have anything worth keeping you have to have it in todays world.
I will get off my soapbox and get back to work.  ;)
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

crtreedude

Yes, society does tend to have to pay for those who don't think ahead. How about this? People who live in zones where they tend to have really bad natural disasters tend to pay for insurance, not receive what it takes to rebuild - and they FEMA (that is me and you) helps them the rest of the way.

If insurance REALLY was insurance and REALLY did take care of people - no problem. I just see insurance making promises that they do not keep - but someone they really post great profits.

By the way, I have had losses - but we bankroll enough to cover them. We do have liability insurance, but for things that are easily replaced, I don't do it.

For example, if I am in a store and I am buying a new computer - you couldn't get me to buy "Extended Coverage". After one year, electronics normally don't fail - if they do, it was probably something you did - and so the warranty will be void anyway. This is a great example of insurance that people don't need, but people buy out of fear.

My response: Are you tell me that this is such a piece of junk that it will probably break within three years?! Watch them trying to explain themselves after that!

Ron Wenrich

Anytime you talk about insurance, its basically a game of chance.  The insurance company says I bet you don't get hurt, in a car wreck, your house doesn't burn, your dog doesn't bite anyone and you don't die.  But, we being the eternal optimists that we are say "I bet I do" and buy more insurance.  Guess who's winning.   ;)

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mike_van

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Onthesauk

I worked in insurance for years and it was always described as an unusual products that went up in price every year, you kept buying it anyway and kept praying you never had to use it.

I'm not comfortable trying to get by without health insurance.  My wife and I live with high deductables to make it affordable and have each gone through an issue in the last five years that justified the cost and I am faced with another one yet this year.

I am interested to see how the Mass. plan work out.  Seems like it might be tough doing it state by state but doubt that there will every be enough concensus to do it at a Federal level.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Cedarman

The rip off for health insurance is that you pay full price if you do not have insurance.  Insurance companies only pay 1/4 to 1/3 of the billed price. The rest is not picked up by someelse.  It is just that 1/4 to 1/3 of the billed price is the true cost of the care.  When a non insured is billed, they do not have the bargaining power of the insurance company.  But if you stick to your guns and negotiate with a checkbook in your hand, you can get the price you pay down to what insurance companies pay.

The last time I was in the hospital was 1965 for appendicitis.  I have saved enough and have enough borrowing power to get any health care should I need it.  Even when I had insurance I had a $5000.00 deductible.  Even if I had a $10000 bill I would be paying 1/2.  The insurance company would not be paying a cent because when I paid $5000 the hospital made an extra $1700 and the insurance company did not pay a single penny.

So if I pay $1000 a month for health care insurance and a $5000 decuctible, after one year I have paid $12,000 still have to pay $5000 grand.  This is enough to buy $51,000 worth of medical care.  Now tell me why I should carry health insurance?

crtreedude

I don't know if you have been following this, but Trent Lott is suing State Farm and claiming they are playing with the documents to deny people insurance.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/katrina_lott.html

Something about if your house was destroyed by wind - fine, they have to pay, but if it was water damage.... you are sunk. (sorry for the pun) Lott's accuses them of shredding reports and producing ones that change the reason for the damage.

When it is time to collect from the insurance company you often find that via the magic of fine print - you are unelegible. Wouldn't it be nice if they told you BEFORE you paid all those premiums?

Don_Papenburg

Cedarman , The problem is what can you get for 51 thou. ?   But in reality if someone paid themself into a special account all the money that goes to the insurance  by the time they need it most there would be quite a nest egg.                That is if some  A$$ and his lawyer don't sue him for some frivalis deal .

Cedarman

Out of every 1000 people that fit my, my son and daughter and my wife's age and health status, how many have health bills over $51,000 a year? If you do not spend the money on health insurance, that money can be spent on investments or paying debt down.  By saving the money and investing it a young person can have more than enough to pay even a very high medical bill.  Also, even with health insurance, it does not pay all the bills.

My preference is to not pay insurance, make healthy choices, invest as much as I can in my business and go from their. Of course this is not for everyone.

I have worked in 3 of the most dangerous industries, oil exploration service company, farming, logging and sawmilling, and my hobby for 40 years is hard core cave exploration.  So, I have not restricted my activities, I just work as safe as possible and not take risky chances.  But who is to say what tomorrow will bring. 

Thank You Sponsors!