iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will Quaking Aspen regenerate itself from a Horizontal piece of wood ????

Started by Mikeysmill, April 06, 2006, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeysmill

Can anyone tell me if Aspen will grow shoots....from a horizontal piece on the ground (as willow does)??? ::) ::) ??? I have harvested several apsen trees and I want to drag the tops elsewhere but, I do not want to contaminate the area with aspen seedlings/shoots if at all possible........I looked in several books but,none addressed this dilemma.  As usual any and all advice is appreciated!!! ??? :-\ Thanks Mike

Reddog

Max sawdust

I have only seen it shoot up from the roots.  I guess roots are wood and horizontal ;)  I am no expert, but I understand the largest living organism is a stand of quaking aspen in CO.  I understand they are connected underground with one giant root system.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Dana

Max, according to this link, its difficult to determine which organism is largest. Looks like for individual organism, the sequoia holds title. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_organism
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Max sawdust

Dana,
I hear what you are saying, and have to agree with wikipedia since the roots do not stay connected.
Aspen is fascinating the way it regenerates.  We have a few stands that have been hit hard by Beaver.  The young shoots are very aggressive in putting on height quick.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!