iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP with log value

Started by brdmkr, April 05, 2006, 09:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I have a fellow with a good bit of SYP that he wants to sell me.  Normally, I'd just pass, as I prefer free ;D.  However, most of the tree removal folks around here sell their pine, and my pines are limited.  He says he can get 65.00/ton from another mill, and admits that this is more than he gets from a commercial outfit because he has to unload the truck.  I am not going to argue with the man's price.  It is what it is, and I can walk away if I think it is too high. 

Here is my problem.  I can't figure out how many BF I can expect to get from this.  Minimum diameter on some logs is 9" up to may 22 - 24".  I normally am able to saw out a little better than Doyle and sometimes meet international in terms of yield.  I looked at the tools and it says that 1000 bf of SYP LUMBER weighs in at just over 3000 lb.  This works out to about 100.00/thousand bf, but this is for green lumber.  I'd jump on that price.

When I make up a SYP log that weighs about a ton (16 ft long 20 " at small end), the Doyle is only 250+/- bft.  This means that if I saw out on doyle, I am loosing  2/3 of the log :o :o.  I know that there is some loss, but is it really that high?  I really need some help in deciding if I can make this work and the only way I can do this is to know what bf yield I can expect.  I'd buy it if I knew I could get it at $200/1000 bdft Doyle, but I am affraid that buying by the ton, I may be giving much more that this at 65.00/ton.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  The fellow is supposed to call me in the morning with the weight.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

Here's some Pine figures to consider.

5200-5400 pounds = 1 cord depending on the mill
2.8 cords=1000 Board Feet

7.50-7.75 tons = 1000 board ft

A tree length trailer will carry about 25 tons or 9.3 -10 cords and will cut about 3.3-4000 Board feet

I have cut 3800 board feet from  a 9.3 trailer load of small, snakey cypress

brdmkr

Tom,

Given those figures, it sounds like 25 tons of logs will yield me about 3000 bdft (I don't figure my yield would be as hign as yours).  That works out to close to 470.00/thousand.  I think that his price is out of my acceptable price range.  You are not located that far from me.  What are SYP saw logs going for over your way?

Thanks for your help.

Mike   
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!