iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who Knows thier STEEL??

Started by blueox, April 05, 2006, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueox

Who knows what "Rockwell Steel" is??

I've been researching this and have been told that Rockwell is not an actual steel it is a term of "measuring the density" of the steel. (the higher the number the harder it is, but the more brittle it becomes, kind of like a diamond)

Who knows what "Flex Steel" is??

Again I'm doing my reseach and NO BODY KNOWS....no one has ever heard of a steel called "flex".

I'm stumped but hope that one of you will have an intelligent answer for me....

Thanks ahead of time...Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Radar67

Yes, Rockwell is the measure of hardness in steel. As for the flex steel, never heard of it, maybe spring steel is the term you are looking for?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

blueox

OK whats spring steel? I understand "spring suspension", thats not what the term is used for. Its supposed to be a fabricating, structural steel?? What would you use spring steel for??

Thank you

slowzuki

Spring steel is generally a high-alloy/high carbon very strong steel that has been work hardened by cold rolling or drawing that lets it bend a long ways without deforming.  The drawback is it breaks usually before taking a permenant bend.

It is used to make springs of course and is related to tool steels.  Spring steel is a general term though of the group of steels in this category that can be used as springs.

Spring steel is not used for structural steel!  It can't be welded without destroying the properties.  Nowadays HSLA or high-strenght low alloy steels are the norm for buildings.  In the recent past low-carbon steel was also used for its weldability.

MULE_MAN

We use a ROCKWELL STEEL hardness tester here at work, we check steel
for B or C scale   There is a spec. on the steel we buy & we check it on the
tester to see if it's as hard as it is suppose to be . Too hard not good, Too
soft not good Has to meet the spec,  Are in back to the Vendor it goes !

We also lock a piece in a machine & pull it until tear apart, Pretty neat tearing
steel up   :D  :D   :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

blueox

Well thanks for all the good info on Rockwell and Spring....I appreciate the words and have heard them as well.

But who knows what FLEX Steel is?? Do you think its just a ficticious word, maybe someone made it up??

Muleman if your working with steel everyday, do you mind checking into FLEX steel for me?

customsawyer

The only Flex steel I know of is a company that has a factory here in Dublin, Ga. that makes recliner chairs and such. Bet that isn't what you were looking for. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

MULE_MAN

Sure I'll make some calls at work & get back to you
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Don P

QuoteThe only Flex steel I know of is a company that has a factory here in Dublin, Ga. that makes recliner chairs and such. Bet that isn't what you were looking for.

:D :D Dat's what I kept thinking.

Reddog

I work with metals all the time. Can't find any ref for Flex steel. Not even a trade name. Probably a slang for spring steel. As for Rockwell it is a way to compare the steel you have to testing and charts for strength and yield at diffrent processing/heat treating. Or when buying to spec, getting what you need for the design. If you need me to explain some more let me know. ???

dutchman

As has been stated Rockwell is a scale used to measure hardness.

Maybe what you are calling FLEX Steel is really the amount of deflextion in steel.
If you are given a specific size beam of a certain length you can calculate
the amount of deflection under certain load conditions.
Modern flat bed trailers are made with arched steel I beam, when loaded they
flatten and the axels carry the load more evenly.

scsmith42

Ditto on the previous Rockwell explanations, but I have never heard of "Flex Steel" in a structural application.  There were some golf clubs made that used the term flex steel shafts", but this was probably just marketing hype.

Steel typically is measured in terms of "yield" and "Tensile" strength.  Yield is the point where it bends, tensile is the point where it breaks.  Steels with similar tensile and yield strengths typically are brittle.

What is the planned application for the "flex steel"?

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Gary_C

Rockwell is as the others have stated, is a measure of the hardness of steel.

"Flex Steel" is a term that only makes any sense if it refers to the method of loading as in "flex loading of a beam" or bending as opposed to end loading (compression loading)  or tension loading (tensile loading).

Modern flatbed trailers are made with arched I beams strictly for image. If the aluminum or alloy trailers that flex much more under load than steel were made with flat decks they would look "swaybacked" under load and owners would and have complained they were about to break. Also the DOT would think they were overloaded. When they are made with an arch, they are flat under load and look normal. The axles have air bags and carry the same load regardless of deflection.   8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Deadwood

I'm a Machinist by trade and I have never heard of a particular steel called Flex Steel other than the company that makes recliners and matresses.

I won't bother to comment on the Rockwell Hardness or arch in a trailer I was always taught was called "Camber" as I agree with what everyone else has stated.

In the railroad industry in which I work however, we do use the TERM flex steel. Just as other's have stated we use it in relation to the amount of flex a piece of rail endures while be subjected to locomotives and rolling stock. Of course tie spacings, tie type (wood/ concrete/ plastic/ steel/ composite) all make a difference, along with ballast condition and drainage. My guess is, Flex Steel, IF it is indeed a true TYPE of steel, is a Brand Name by a particular mill such as US steel, not a true type of steel. But I could be wrong.

JimBuis

I don't believe "flex steel" is a technical term as such, but rather a term used to simply describe a steel product that is somewhat flexible.  If you do a Google search on "flex steel", you will get a million search results and they all seem to be describing some steel whatchamacallit that is flexible.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Ed

Blueox,
I've been pondering the term "flex steel" for a little while.....  :P  :P  :P
I agree with everyone else about it possibly being slang for spring steel, I also came up with this,

Flexor steel

Hope this helps.

Ed

blueox

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....

I appreciate all the information you have all shared with me. One thing is for sure...if you have a question, just ask it on the forum and you're sure to get some "real" answers.

I gather that you shouldn't use "high tensile, Flex Steel" as a structural steel....sounds like it would be 'breakable'....that is, if there really is such a thing as Flex Steel?!?!

Thanks again for all the input! I appreciate it!

Kind Regards
Laurel

rebocardo

SpecialEd, you deserve a 10.0 for finding that, awesome search.  :)

blueox

SPECIAL ED...you are special...thanks for the info! I appreciate your help.

Laurel

sandman2234

Camber of tractor trailers frames is done for more than just looks. The appearence after loading is just one of the benefits.
  Camber of prestressed I-beams that hold our roadways up when bridging rivers and other roadways is a design factor, to get the most out of a the materials being used.
   The modulus of elastisity in steel when used in trailers is aided by the camber effects.
       David from jax

Gary_C

If you are talking about prestressed CONCRETE bridge beams, the camber is one of the results of the design, not something to aid the design. If the beams did not have a camber after they were built, it would be an indicator that the steel cables had lost their prestress and they would not be any good.

Also the modulus of elasticity is a property of the steel and it cannot be changed by the design of a beam.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sandman2234

With prestressed concrete, you can increase the tension in the upper region to remove the camber, without decreasing the tension on the cables in the lower quadrant. The tension in the upper region will decrease the camber, and destroy the strength of the beam.
   The steel or aluminum tractor trailers are pre arched so that the steel won't have to work as hard to do the same job. Compression on the top, and tension on the bottom half of the beam. The roadways of this country tend to bounce them past the elasticity point when loaded. The arc stops a lot of that.
   David from jax

mitchetb

As customsawyer said FlexSteel is a company that makes furniture.

Gilman

Blue Ox,
Where did you see the term, "FlexSteel?"
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!