iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber drying ?

Started by WoodChucker, November 16, 2002, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Does lumber that is stacked outside (covered) in the winter totally stop drying?

Also, if I were to bring it into my work shop, where sometimes it's heated to about 50 degrees but only for a few hours a day, be good or bad for it?  Thanks!

R.T.

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Brian_Bailey

WoodChucker,

Once the o/s temp.drops below 50 degrees, the drying rate slows appreciably.  When the water in the wood become frozen then the natural process of sublimation becomes a factor. So in essence, wood will not totally stop drying in the winter.

As far as bringing the wood indoors,  it depends on the moisture content of the wood.  If it's dead green, I don't think you'll want to bring all that moisture into your shop.  Also, the greener the wood, the less it will tolerate low humidity without drying defects becoming a problem. If your wood has been air dried so it's close to its fiber saturation point ( approx. 28 - 30 % mc) you shouldn't have a problem by bringing it indoors.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

WoodChucker

Brian_Bailey, hey thanks for the great explanation, I sure appreciate it.

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!