iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birch Bark Canoes-- Anyone Built One????

Started by Coon, April 05, 2006, 11:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Was just doing some reading last night about building birch bark canoes.  Seems like a fun project to me.  I have had a little experience helping out when building one, but never have done one by myself.

Does anyone here build them?  What are some of the little tricks of the trade within the building process?

Does anyone have a set of plans that they would like to share?

Brad.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

redpowerd

have you found any info on building? i have a bit in my library from my interest in adirondack guideboats. i know the birch are easier to build than strip built canoes, thats why ive never really got into them, afraid of reliability issues. they dont hold up or last as long as a strip built and take about the same time to build, if you have forms.

any questions please ask, be happy to refer you to any information i hold.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SwampDonkey

I've always been interested in them, but have never tried to construct one. I do know that the local malacite reservation had a group that made at least one a couple of years ago. It was a ceremonial thing I believe. I have seen some miniature ones made and grandfather had one around the house for years. Don't know where it ended up, my uncle is known for throwing stuff out that isn't his.  ::)

Here is a link that you'll find interesting. :)

http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/malacitecanoes.htm
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

The only info I have found on these canoes is from google.  I did find some interesting info and pictures though.

Thanks for the link Swamp.  Those are some nice pics of birch bark canoes as well as all of the other Native artifacts and tools. 8)

I guess if no one has a set of plans for a birch bark canoe,  I'll just have to create my own.  The only difference being is the longer learning curve without a set of plans.  I'll get it done.

Brad.

SwampDonkey

Coon, if you email those guys I bet they have some plans for a canoe. But, with most boat building plans there is probably a cost associated with it, and rightly so.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

I just printed off a set of plans for building one, but, it does not have the measurements that I am looking for.  This set of plans goes through and shows how they built the canoes.  Some nice pics within this building.  Pics are definately worth a thousand words.

Brad.

breese

There is a book by John McPhee titled The Survival of the Birch Bark Canoe that may be of some interest to you ( available on amazon.com).
About a guy up in Maine who was into these canoes, lots of good information about their construction, history, etc.

From what I have read, the best birch bark canoes were very durable, used often in the fur trade carrying big weight.

SwampDonkey

Coon, you probably have all kinds of white birch in your kneck of the woods, eh?

Coon

Swamp.  That is very correct.  I tapped 168 birch in total this spring and made some of the best syrup man could ever eat.  I have atleast 10 birch trees/acre on our farm.  They range from seedlings right up to marketable timber of approximate average of 18 inch dbh and even some in the neighborhood of 24 inch dbh.

I need a canoe for myself so I thought I would build it as I can't afford to buy one.  A birch bark canoe is not cheap to say the least.  It is also very beautiful to see someone gliding on the water so gracefully in a work of artistic nature.

Brad.

Coon

Well,   The canoe process is taking a while to start shaping up.   I had no way of bending my boards for the canoe,  so I built a very big steambox.  The steambox is 16 feet long and 38 inches wide by 10 inches deep.  I have a heater to set in the water and also now have a circulation pump that brings the cold water to the heater.  Looks like it should hold all my necessary boards  for one canoe at a time.  I have experience with bending woods so I KNOW IT WILL WORK, but the question still is ----- How well???

Tommorow I will begin the day by going out to our farm and getting my Wattape and spruce gum.  I need enough to build atleast 4 canoes that I know of so...... I may as well get it all at once.

What is Wattape you ask?????   Wattape is the term that the natives gave to the spruce roots that they used for sewing up the pieces of birch bark that will be used for the canoe skin.  Wattape is pulled from the ground in long lengths that are fairly straight and then peeled and split and used just like rawhide lacing.

By the end of the weekend I am hoping to be ready to start forming up the canoe.  From there it should only take a couple of days with the help of a partner before the canoe will be sealed and ready for the water.  Fishing season is still a couple of weeks away so I should have it and the paddles made by then ready for opening day.

Brad.

Ernie_Edwards

Brad,

Just 2 days ago a friend brought us a VCR tape that shows the making of a birch bark canoe. Unbelievable how they could bend and split what they needed all by hand Also showed the process with the spruce roots that you mentioned. Ash was used in part of the frame, but the rest of the wood was cedar.

The VCR was is really poor shape. This friend called late last night with a phone number of where a replacement VCR might be purchased. I will call them later when the sun comes up and let you know if it is really available and what the cost is if you want one.

Ernie

SwampDonkey

isawlogs

Batteries for your camera ... dont forget ... Put them high on the list of things to have on hand .  ;D ;D ;D( well , with the camera  )  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ernie_Edwards

Brad,

Just called that phone number, it turned out to be the Adirondack Museum. They didn't know anything about this old video and are themselves looking to find something like what I have here.

This video is called "Building An Algonquin Canoe" and shows 2 old Indians gathering the materials and then building it.

I am going to do some checking and see if there is a way to have this restored and copied, maybe to DVD. Not sure of the ins and outs of that, would like to have something original from the producers and not step on any copywrite issues.

Will keep you posted.

Ernie

Coon

Ernie,   That video would be great for me to get a hold of even if it is in rough shape.   I have a friend that works with that kind if thing.  He makes videos and DVD's from old footage that was originally on even those old reel style projectors.  He has his computer set up to do all kinds of things from fixing up picture quality to fixing up the sound.  If you could fix me up with a copy of that video I could get him to fix it up and even put it on dvd.

If you want to send me a copy of that video just send me a pm and I will get back to you.

Swamp, thanks for the link.  I haven't checked that one out before but am doing so as it loads.

Marcel,  I have someone coming to take digital pics and video footage building these canoes in all stages of production.  It will be good fall back for marketing purposes if I try to make a business out of it.

Brad.

twoodward15

you can buy it at www.birchbarkcanoe.net it's $99 postpaid.  Check out the website.   I simply "googled" the title of the video and it's the first one on the list.  Looks interesting from the 30 seconds that I looked at it.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Ernie_Edwards

Yep, that's the one. Quite interesting video, but at $99.00 I will suffer thru this copy that my friend lent me.

twoodward15

ahhhh, no big deal.  If you wanna play you gotta pay!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Coon

I'm not a cheapskat or a tightwad by any means but, when they want 99 bucks for a little vcr tape they can keep it.  I guess I just don't want it bad enough yet.  Sure enough there's got to be a few people on here that may even have a copy or something similar.

Brad.

redpowerd

curious as to how the boats turned out.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Paschale

Yeah, me too!   8)

Oh, and I'm curious about that syrup you made--does it taste a lot like maple syrup?  Birch syrup--sounds tasty.

(It always gets back to food, doesn't it?)   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Coon

Paschale,

The Birch syrup turned out wonderful.  It has such a beautiful taste that makes you wonder about nature.....  Is there something else any more pleasant smelling or tasting.

My schedule has been fairly hectic this spring with the seeding around the farm.  The weather has been something else and we are still trying to get the crop in and get the weeds sprayed.  I am just on a break in between hauling loads of water to the sprayer.  It gives my back a lil rest compared to bouncing around the field all day on the tractor. 

I will however be putting up two separate auctions for birch syrup in the days ahead  (once the field work is caught up). 

The birch bark canoes are coming to gether slowly.  I have had some digital pics taken during the building we've done.  So far so good.  Will be posting them once I get the canoe finished  so I can compile a post on what we did in each step of the process.  The dig cam isn't mine and I am not the one taking the pics so it might be a while.

The birch that I had on our farm wasn't large enough for the bottom piece of bark so I had to travel about 40 miles to find decent stuff with easy access.   Once the first one is finished my friend and I will have much better acess to big birch trees for the bark.  We are getting video footage of the whole thing also. 

Brad.

PS   Gotta get back to work now before the sprayer is sitting idle waiting on me.  Have about 600 acres left to spray today before it rains AGAIN.

Paschale

Can't wait to see those pictures, and thanks for telling me about the birch syrup.  I never knew that existed!  I found a place online where you can order it, which I think I'm going to do.

Birch Syrup Link

I've heard of shagbark hickory syrup too.  I wonder if there are any other tree based syrups out there...   ???

Just imagine using some of these mystery syrups as a secret ingredient in some prizewinning BBQ sauce.   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Burlkraft

A friend of mine makes boxelder syrup. Boxelder is in the maple family. It takes a lot more sap to make syrup from boxelder than it does sugar maple. ;) ;)

Birch syrup sounds like it's worth tryin' tho.................
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!