iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New customer

Started by Frank_Pender, November 15, 2002, 05:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

Well, I recokon I am finally coming of age for some of you folks East of the Mississippi.   I got my first Eastern type customer yesterday.   8) 8) 8)  I was referred from a couple of much bigger mill operations North of me  to supply a special order of pallet material; 360 pcs. of 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 8' and 12'. ;D   I know, I know, "don't count your money 'till the dealin' is done".   :'(  I could hardly understnd the fella at first as to what species he wanted until after I had quoted him a price.  When he said he wanted hardwood I just about hung up.  I had quoted him a price for Doug Fir and not Oak or Maple.   :'(  Then it was tooo late to change.   I stood by  my original figure of $0.675 a bd. ft.  rather than the $1.95.  He sure seemed happy when I told him what the difference was. :D

I hope I am not stepping on any toes for you regular suppliers of pallet material. ???   Of course it is one of those kinds of deals where he wanted the material, like yesterday, kind f thing.  I told him it would most likely be Tuesday the 19th and with a bit of good fortune, Monday the 18th.  

What say ye, ol' pallet lumber cutters?  Was it a good deal for the sawyer? ::)
Frank Pender

dewwood

Frank,
In this area(northeast Indiana) pallet cut stock goes for around forty to fifty cents per foot.  Assembled and delivered pallets are lucky to bring what you got for the cut stock.  I guess you made out pretty good.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Kevin_H.

I am getting about .38 cents a BF delivered to SE MO. I dont do a lot but a couple of bundles a month makes all my equip. pmts.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Frank_Pender

This fella said he wanted to units and each unit has 180 pieces.  
Frank Pender

woodmills1

I had one pallet customer for 2 years.  1.5x4 pine random lengths in 2 foot intervals with 8' and 12' being what he wanted the most of.  very small knots only but stain was ok, wavy cuts were right out.  It was for a bottom stringer on a long pallet for sheet goods and the shorts were cut into blocks to separate the top and bottom stringers.  He was good for 1500 bd ft a month at a quarter per.  the top stringer was hardwood and he got it from canada at 38 cents. when the company that bought the pallets downsized they closed the only wharehouse they didnt own and it was the one my customer supplied.  I didnt like losing that contract as I can get all the stained pine I want for under a nickle a bd ft.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

Pallet companies in our area would simply cut those runners out of larger blocking with resaws.  Most guys buy 3 1/2 x 6 x even foot material.  Other popular sizes are 4 x 6 and 5 1/2 x 6.  Some will also use 5/4 x 4 3 Common for runners.

Right now pallet companies are hurting for stock.  Mill production is down and everyone is out of logs.

We are sitting on about 5 truckloads waiting for the prices to move to 30 cents.  Right now they are 28-29 cents.

Your quoted price for that stock is more than the 2 Com price on red oak, and getting close to the 1 Com price.  Nice market if you can keep it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

P.A.Scott

Im in north east P.A. and im paying .30 for 3.5x6 cants and .18 for random width /length 4/4 hard wood boards My norwood helps out but cant keep up! ;D ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Frank.
  If you can make money on the deal then you did well.  I have been getting $0.30 bdft for pallet cants and $0.15 for 3B 4/4 junk.  But I would guess that I am paying alot less for the timber and have plenty.  I guess that MD can really spit them out.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Ron Wenrich

We get the same price for our pallet boards as we do for our pallet cants.  But, we have to make them into 1 x4 or 1 x 6 and seperate them by length.  

Don't you other guys have that market?  I've always felt it was better to trim those low grade boards back than to sell as random width pallet stock.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

Yes, Arkansawyer. I make a 2 x 4 x12' in about 10 seconds as well as have it on the lumber bunks and stacked.  My most difficult task is ridding myself of the fall down materials, even though I have created some rather cool devices for handling everything.  It all takes away from making the sawdust. fly.
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

We only get 28 cents,bdft for finished pallet boards.  We sell 5/8 X4 or 6 X 40 or 48".  They scale them as 3/4 and they mostly come out of slabs or junk stuff that would otherwise go for charcoal.  Before we got a resaw, we sold 4X6 cants for 18 to 20 cents.  Our wholesaler only pays 10 cents for 3B but we have never had one graded 3B.  Three A is now 47 cents------sure pays a guy to be able to grade and sort as he saws.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!