iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New old saw or old new saw

Started by Mtnjack, November 14, 2002, 07:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtnjack

Had a customer give me a saw he said was 1949 model manufacture Mull in canada has a bar that turns from horz to vertical what a beast has to weigh twice a o44 does says if bucking teeth are not in log it will pull you over it. Any info out there for these old saws? How about a colecters board? Cant wait to prune with it I think i will make it my climbing saw.Ha Ha.

woodbeard

Hi Mtnjack, check out http://www.acresinternet.com/sites/cscc.nsf
Those bars on the ancient saws swivelled like that because they had carburetors with bowl floats rather than diaphragm/impulse pumps, so they would flood and stall if the saw was turned sideways. Sounds like it probably has a gear drive too, TONS of torque! You might could even use it to pull you up the tree if it werent for that carb flooding thing. :D
Good luck,
George

Bro. Noble

I think there was a Mall or Maul chainsaw.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mtnjack

Noble Hillbilly and i checked it out a little today and its spelled mall, made in illinois usa, gear box made in cananda  
Did you know my last name is Noble? Hillbilly came for a visit today and helped skid and load a couple of waks of  cherry with me,then he helped run the timber harvester on some white pine and walnut .Photos when hes ready to post them. woodbeard thamks for the link.

woodbeard

Sure thing. fun site, huh? From the looks of them, Maul might be more appropriate. :D
George

WV_hillbilly

Here are the pics I took when I visited Jack about a month ago. I've just had the time to get them on  here now. This saw is huge you had better get a good grip when using this one. One pic shows the bar in the felling position and the other in the bucking position.This will be my second attempt at posting pics so bear with me.

That is an 044 sitting behind it.

hillbilly

Hillbilly

Tagerts_crossing

I have had a few of them old Mall saws the swivel on the bar is for gas reasons the carb had gravity feed.  They were gear drive because they were low on power.  Mostly seen nowadays in swap meets and old machinery shows.  Not to rare yet but if you have one that is complete hang on to it.  Show to some old timers and listen to the stories, some are pretty funny.  Mall also made other saws as well, some with handle bars on both ends of a long bar don't look safe thats for sure.    John
John Schoolcraft

village-moron

From what I know about these mall saws, that appears to be a model M1A or something like that. I'm not sure though since its been many moons since that saw was around. I better go ask my neighbor, hes got tons of things that were from that era, come to think of it so is he. But that saw is NOT safe in the woods today. I will say that much, I would much sooner go and drive my truck over the logs to cut them than use that old monster saw.
town moron

Thank You Sponsors!