iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Elm Wainscoting

Started by hawby, March 31, 2006, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawby

OK... cut the one and only Red Elm on the farm this Winter. Finally got a chance to saw it up yesterday and of course it was as beautiful as I had hoped. I sawed it at 3/4" since I am using it as wainscot and paneling. Put it in the kiln today and set the schedule according to the manual. (100 degrees, 50 % duty for 400 bdft.)

So... when I got a chance to jump on FF and search "Elm", I of course find that others have had horrible luck in keeping Elm straight.

Are there any success stories out there? I will be quite disappointed if I ruin it.

Any goo suggestions will be appreciated... No need to remind me I shoulda checked the archives first  :-[
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

HORSELOGGER

I have mixed results with red elm... gtey elm is very consistent, consistently bad :(  I have about 700 feet in the kiln now, its been air dried since last summer, and was still pretty flat , so i went ahead and dried it. Gonna make a floor out of it. 8) Red elm dries fast, and at 3/4 since its already loaded and fired up, guess you'll know in a few days or so wether to scrub the mission or not ???
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

coldnorth

If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

coldnorth

Hawby,

I noticed your red elm posting and am very interested to know how it turned out.  I have some elm air drying that I cut about a year ago.  I think it is red elm, but don't really know how to tell.  I just know that it looks very nice with a few coats of poly or tung oil.  I am thinking of building some small furniture pieces.  I hear it is hard on tools.  I am interested in your wainscoting project.  Any pictures?

Thanks
Coldnorth
If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

hawby

The elm is dry, but I have not had time to unload it, plus I wanted to let it equilibrate some in the kiln, with the fans blowing.

I pulled one board and ran it through the planer....beautiful, but VERY LOUD going through it.

I need to pull the load cause I need to get a load of Hard Maple in....all the kilns are full and can't sell the stuff. So, I'll dry it and get twice as much,,, 8)

I should be able to get some pics... it just may be a while though. I am working on my CDL and have been hauling lumber to Wisconsin, and veneer to Indy. I honked on my way past Jeff's and also Chet's houses, on my way to Wisconsin. Saw a black bear that Chet musta hit. Thought about skinning it, but I don't think the State would approve. >:( Plus it woulda started smellin by the time I got back home in the 70 degree weather ::)
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Thank You Sponsors!