iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing "Sinkers"

Started by Ron Scott, November 14, 2002, 08:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Underwater Logs Ready For Milling. These logs were salvaged by "spearing" them from the Menominee River by Ernest Peters, Marinette, Wisconsin , circa 1950's.

~Ron

Noble_Ma

Hey Ron is it tough on the blades to mill those sinkers?  I would imagine that every crack and hole is full of mud, silt, sand and all kinds of crap.  

Ron Scott

If they're washed down good with a water spray beforehand, they aren't too bad on the blades. At least those that I've had experience with. The bark is off most of them or comes off easily.
~Ron

Ron Scott

White Pine "Sinker " Sawlog. Salvaged from the Menominee River on Michigan/Wisconsin border; circa 1950.

~Ron

woodmills1

I was looking at the current guitar player magazine yesterday and saw an add for 400 year "old" guitar.  seems they are using old maple logs from under water to make the bodies of electric guitars and touting the old growth idea.  I think it was gibson but don't really remember.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Scott

White Pine Boards Being Sawn From "Sinkers". Logs salvaged from the Menominee River along the Upper Michigan-Wisconsin border. Circa 1950.

~Ron

Noble_Ma

Ok, I've been waiting for someone else to ask this question.  What makes the logs sink?  Is it a matter of how long it's in the water?  

Fla._Deadheader

Don't know about ALL sinkers,but, the pine and cypress here have growth rings that give a 40+ ring count to the inch of thickness. I would guess that there is not as much air cells in really tight grain logs and the denseness is what makes them sink. They didn't go to the bottom like lead, but, merely settled down before a line or cable could be attached??
  The current moves them about until enough sand anchors them in place. Then a flood will wash them out and move them again. That's what makes them hard to find.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Scott

A good question as one would expect wood to float, but when a log reaches a negative buoyancy it sinks.

Logs sink when they are overloaded with pitch, sap, and moisture. When the weight of the log exceeds 62.4 pounds/cubic foot it reaches a negative buoyancy; it will then not float and becomes a "sinker."

Many of the "sinkers" were also the denser hardwood logs, particularly yellow birch and sugar maple here in the Lake States. As the logs became water soaked on the river drives, lake rafts and mill ponds etc. they sank leaving a trail of timber on the bottom.

~Ron

Weekend_Sawyer

I am amazed that these old logs can be salvaged and sawn.
How much is wasted to rot? How do you find these logs? Do divers go down for them or do you use remote camera equipment? How soon after you pull them up can they be sawn?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Here is a pretty good website that answers a lot of questions.

http://www.timelesstimber.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

OHH PI-SHAWWWW.  I'm going to go to work with them guys.

Shoot fire, they get to SEE their logs and inspect them, even. Down here, if you sneeze inside yer mask, you can't even see that !!!  Down here, we get to crawl around on the bottom and FEEL AROUND and see if we can find logs.
  Mostly they are covered with sand, mud, silt and the occasional Gator or Snappin Turtle. Not to mention the 100 pound+ Catfishes, the crab traps that have been on the bottom for who knows how long. The many trotlines that will catch on yer dive gear and make you REALLY think about what yer next step will be, is always fun, when you can't see what it is that has you???

How about all the trees with LIMBS that have fallen into the water for the past 100 or so years. They get yer attention when you wander into a tangle of them.

A dive light works wonders , for about 1-2 feet of vis, IF you have an idea what it is you want to see. Sometimes it is something you'd rather NOT want to see. :D

Then there is the bass boats doing 150 MPH on the hairpin turns that nearly run into yer work boat. Yelling and screaming works as good as fartin in a hurricane, trying to get these morons attention.

And there is always the Flotilla of Blue hairs that come by and gather around you, asking, what are you doing??. This while you have 1 or 2 divers on the bottom, hooking a log and jerking the cable, so you can gun the engines to get in line with the log and start to raise it, having NO idea how long it is, while the wind blows sideways to the 4 knot current, and the "Crowd" can't imagine why you want them to "BACK OFF" !!! :o :o

MAN DO WE HAVE FUN  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Some of ya'll need to come on down and work with us fer a spell. Peas all around !! :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Now what you just described is what I wanted the pictures of!! DanG, anybody can take a picture of a trailer full of logs and say they used to be wet. ;)

Fla._Deadheader

My digital camera leaks???????????? :D :D :D

Fergot to answer questions.

There is usually not as much sapwood on the old growth logs. Sometimes the sapwood is still in very good condition, and can be sawn having heartwood showing with it. The sapwood is "spongy" and will deteriorate as it starts drying. That's why the tongs rip loose. On the Heart Cypress that we are getting, the sapwood is VERY thin and we have actually pulled logs loose that still had bark attached. The water stops the "decay" that most folks think takes place underwater.

Also, the Old Growth Timber is VERY decay resistant. That's what makes it "special".

It is best to saw it as soon as you can, after pulling it. The drying process is "tricky", so I have been told. End sealing is especially important.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Some above the water line pictures will do just fine. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

OK. Going up Friday. Will see what I can do. There's not much "dry" room on the boat and I sure don't want to get my camera wet.

Reckon a ziplok bag will not leak??? :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Ron Wenrich

My charts say that wood like red oak weighs 64 lbs/cu ft when green.  Does that mean that they will sink when green?  

The other factor is that the specific gravity is 0.59 when green.  I thought things sank when the sp gr was at 1 or greater.

For rot to occur, you need food, water and oxygen.  You won't get rot 1 foot below the soil line.  In deep, cold water, the oxygen levels are too low.  Don't know about that Florida stuff, but rot resistance sounds right.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Fla._Deadheader

Surely you know more about logs then I, but, I "think" the topic refers to old growth Heart Pine and Heart Cypress. I know that there were White Pine logs mentioned also, but, they too were old growth.

As I stated before, the ring count is 40+ per inch of thickness of log. I would have to believe that the thin "cambium"? layer is the reason, because there would be less air space in the cells. They would be filled with sap and oils that make the old growth timber "special".
  Tom said he has sawn old growth. I will not challenge his statement, although I would like more info from him on how he got the logs to saw and where they came from. I gathered from his post that the ones he cut wre NOT from a river recovery??

One other thing, I don't want to get into a peeing contest, but, I have a good friend in Costa Rica that gets all over my case when we discuss the "Weight" of gold ore and the "weight" of quartz specimens, as compared to other elements such as lead. I ask which is "heavier" and he howls about the "DENSENESS" of stuff NOT the weight. He is a retired Bio-chemist, and very well educated.

I am sure that is where we are having our discussion differences. I don't know how else I might add to what has already been posted. I would be very interested in new info if someone comes up with a new theory.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Harold,

I've talked about some of the trees in past posts, hoping to awaken some sawyers to the whereabouts of good wood.  I hate to see all this stuff go to waste in a land fill.

Contrary to popular belief Florida hasn't been overpopulated forever.  Although started earlier, the big move began in the early 1900's and didn't start getting too far out of control until the 1960's.  There have been, and still are, "urban forests" of pristine pine. Time is not on their side though. I experienced several hundred acres of previously unmolested swamp being bulldozed at the intersection of I-295 and I-95 South of Jacksonville as recently as 8 months ago.  Much of the pine went to the mills, I'm sure, but I doubt that it went anywhere where the wood could be appreciated.  Paper mills grind it up and don't look at the log. Many of the workers that run their equipment recognize differences by "either it's pine or hardwood."  What kind of pine or what kind of hardwood never enters there mind and they don't seem to be interested in learning on their own.  I've taken loggers aside and explained some of he hardwoods to them. You would be amazed at how little they know and how anxious they are to learn if someone takes the initiative to tell them.

I was traveling 417 through Sanford and ran across several low places that were being bulldozed for intersections.  Most of the large pine had gone somewhere because there were a lot of stumps pushed up in windrows.  The majority of the windrows consisted of smaller pine, up to 10" and crooked, (could have been pulpwood if the time had been taken to harvest it), and many Sable Palms and hardwoods.

The Sable Palm, also called the Cabbage Palm, is a tree that is used to identify Florida. I think it is supposed to be protected because so many were being killed to harvest the heart.  The heart of the tree is the "cabbage" and it is boiled down to be eaten with other camp fare.  It is also used as "palm hearts" to be sold at a high dollar to restaurants who cater to clientele who have never seen a tree.

These trees(expensive stock to landscapers), probably several thousands of them, were awaiting the tub grinder.

The pine that is harvested from many of these areas is no different than the pine that people think no longer exists.  It is old, tight-grained, naturally seeded stock that has had to mature through a canopy of hardwoods that allows little light to penetrate.  They grow slowly, spindly and will reach the top of the canopy without being more than 6 or 8 inches in diameter at breast height.  Once they break through to the sun they begin to grow faster but are still stunted and the grain remains close. I have sawn these trees where the grain in the center was so tight that you couldn't count the rings. The rest of the tree would have a 20 or better ring count per inch.

Believe it or not, urban trees produce some of the finest wood I've ever seen. These are pines and hardwoods that have survived since before the homes were built and are being cut because of the mentality of the current home owners.  

It used to be that trees were left for beauty and homes were added to the site. After WWII it became common to completely clear a site, build tract homes and add the trees back.  These "added back" trees produce pretty, even-grained wood, but the old, saved trees may be the 'old growth' that is touted by marketers today.

Isn't it a shame that the Urban population wasn't educated to appreciate their trees.  They have driven nails and the such in the most valuable forest left today,

The production schedules of the big mills has decreased the value of Urban wood because the trees can't be harvested in large enough quantity.  Pulpwooders, like my friend "Eddy" who has the shortwood truck talked about in other threads here, have benefited until recently when the mills quit taking short wood and went to whole tree processing.  Now there is no one to follow the arborists who take down the "unwanted" trees and the pulp ends up in a landfill,ground into little bits, at a cost of $30 or $40 per ton.

What makes the trees that are recovered from rivers and swamp mud so valuable is the fact that it is uniquely harvested.  It has had someone spend some "Marketing" effort on it and it is something with which the general public can identify.  It is also in a quantity that makes it worth the effort and localized in a place where it can be found.

I have sawn recovered wood and, other than color and "set sap",  don't find much difference in it and some of the wood I've described.

Farmers who live on "hand-me-down" land generally have some of this wood that has grown in out-of-the-way places.  Some appreciate it because of its grain, some because of its clarity and strength and some because it grew on G-G-G- Granddaddy's home place.

Cypress was over-harvested in the past and remaining trees are being ground for mulch today.  Species of trees that were once important cabinet woods, Red Bay, Magnolia, etc.,  don't exist in "production' quantities anymore.  They are still available to the small businessman/sawmiller if the effort is expended.

WoodMizer wrote an article several years ago in their house organ that said "Milliion-board-foot-a-day" mills are having difficulty being fed timber and may not exist in the future.  We think the future is in smaller businesses and smaller mills that can be taken to the wood." (paraphrased from my memory)

They were talking more about the transportation of the wood to the mill than the availability of the wood.  A large mill sucks up all the resources around it faster than they can grow. "As much as one third of the cost of a board is in transportation",  they also said.

As brokers take advantage of small portable mills again, if they will, you will begin to see prettier wood on the market again.  You may even begin to see an effort to market wood by its quality rather than its quantity too.  I mean more so than you find in Hardwood grading for cabinetry today.  Softwoods have the same potential if interest in marketing them becomes fashionable.

The problem will be that the industry and governments will begin to create and enforce controls on the market rather than just educating it and letting it take care of itself.  

Like the "market" has evolved today, it will prohibit the use of the wood by eliminating the harvesters and processors who are unable to become certified by their larger co-horts. Big business will not allow little business to exist.  Governments cater to big business rather than the individual.  Control becomes stifling.  These are premises that are discussed continually by individuals who are trying to break into the Mega-market of wood processing and I tend to feel that there is much truth to it.

Fla._Deadheader

Very well written, Tom. I have to agree with everything you wrote. When I was a "pup", my Dad ran a small truck crane, digging cellars for houses, among other things. I have watched for hours, while he nearly tied knots in the cable, swinging the bucket around BIG oaks and such, so they could be saved. This was in the very early 50's.

I remember the builders way back then, complaining about working around those trees. They finally found the power in govt. and became politicians and immediately passed regulations that allowed the land to be stripped and then re-planted. I remember very large oaks and cherrys that had no limbs for the first 40-50 feet. Usually, a hole was dozed somewhere out of the way of the cellar, and the trees were cut up and buried on the spot.

The fishcamp we were at previously, before we moved, has some Pine's that 2 men can't reach around.

Traditionally, long-leaf is the supposed source of the "Heart Pine" we salvage. There are many other species of Pine, and probably they are in the Heart Pine category also??

Hardwood has it's quality and beauty, but, I have always been partial to Pine. I love to listen to the wind whistling through it's branches. It also has it's own quality and beauty.

Cypress is totally new to me, but, seeing the growth rings brings you back to reality. The ancient forests must have been spectacular. I know I really enjoy the many photos posted by the members of this Forum, showing the old ways as well as the new.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Scott

The moisture content of wood has a direct bearing on its weight, and moisture contents in excess of 100% are not at all unusual. When the weight of the wood exceeds that of water which is 62.4 pounds/cubic foot, it will sink.

Specfic gravity of wood relates to the "ovendry" weight of wood.

Most commercial woods of the United States , volume for volume, are lighter than water when "oven dry", i.e. they will float in water. This means that a cubic foot of dry wood must weigh less than 62.4 pounds, the weight of a cubic foot of water.

Specific gravity of wood =wt. of wood (oven dry)
                                      wt. of like volume of water

It doesn't take some of the dense hardwoods long to become 'sinkers', especially if rafting is attempted soon after "green" cutting without any drying time.

One needs to consider this if their log transportation is going to be by direct floating of the logs. There will be "sinkers" to be salvaged.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Lumber Deck. Air drying lumber sawn from "sinkers". Circa 1950, Wisconsin.

~Ron

Fla._Deadheader

Luv the pics, Ron. Also appreciate the info you provide. My info is VERY limited and I sometimes fear that it is also not always accurate.

Man, this place is DEAD tonight !!!
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Ditto, Deadhead! Ron is a well-spring of great info, and it is dead here tonight. There are lots of folks logged on, but I think they just fell asleep before they could log off.

Ain'tcha glad you did that diving last week, instead of waiting for this cold air?  S'posed to go to 25 tonite. I know that don't sound bad to most folks on here, but this is s'posed ta be FLARDER, fer cryin' out loud!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!