iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homebrew Is A Brewin

Started by Grappletractor, March 30, 2006, 08:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grappletractor

I've finally hunkered down and started my mill. My steel arrived early this AM. Here is a pic of one of the first cuts
I know this is going to be a long project but when I'm done I know I'm going to be proud of meself  :)

getoverit

Good deal!!

Keep us posted on your progress.. loads of pictures :P
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Shawn

Wow! I just used a compound miter saw with a metal cutting blade. I now have to take it apart and clean out the metal dust. But it worked like a charm. Finished grinding burrs today and started degreasing and priming.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

highpockets

Grappletractor I want to wish you all of the luck.  I wish you were closer, I'd help you.  Atleast you've got the metal for it.  I like the saw.  I have three of those.  One to think about is the spring that controlls the load on the blade of the metal saw.  I put a wheel on the tension spring shaft so I can tighten it when making cuts on thin metal.  Much faster that fooling with the present shaft. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Grappletractor

Quote from: highpockets on March 31, 2006, 06:20:49 AMI put a wheel on the tension spring shaft so I can tighten it when making cuts on thin metal.  Much faster that fooling with the present shaft. 

Photo please .
And thanks for the offer of help .

jrokusek

Quote from: Shawn on March 31, 2006, 12:09:07 AM
Wow! I just used a compound miter saw with a metal cutting blade. I now have to take it apart and clean out the metal dust. But it worked like a charm. Finished grinding burrs today and started degreasing and priming.
Shawn...

OUCH!  Isn't that a bit rough on the saw?   Not really made for that sort of thing but I bet it did make some nice square cuts.   Maybe that's where a Harbor Freight miter saw would be good?   :D

Dan_Shade

the metal saws turn slower than the wood ones.  i was going to try that once, but a friend got a nice chop saw for christmas :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Grappletractor

Quote from: Shawn on March 31, 2006, 12:09:07 AM
Finished grinding burrs today and started degreasing and priming.
Shawn...

What are you using to degrease with , I am assuming you mean that thin film of oil that comes on new steel ?

Grappletractor

Results of first cuttings for frame . Seven pieces at 34&1/4" long ( sections between main frame beams ) and two two foot sections that will be welded to the main frame to extend it's length to 26 feet.
Metal cutting bandsaws are great, get it set up turn it on and walk off to do other things while it cuts away, each cut here took about 15 minutes .

Grappletractor

Another nice thing about the metal cutting bandsaw is it's thin kerf which if I'd have used another method of cutting I would have come up short on my last piece cut from this beam , as it is now I ended up with a scrap piece 3/4 of an inch long.

jrokusek

Quote from: Grappletractor on March 31, 2006, 12:10:02 PM
.......... as it is now I ended up with a scrap piece 3/4 of an inch long.

HUH!?!   I have enough scrap to haul in to the scrap dealer to recoup some of the cost of building my saw!  Of course lots of what I used started off as scrap from the scrap pile so I don't know if that counts or not.     8)

Shawn

QuoteWhat are you using to degrease with

I had a gallon of paint thinner from a painting project last year. It has mineral spirits in it. I keep old bath towels for just this sort of job. 1/2 of a towel soaked with thinner to clean, then other towels to dry off. Before I primed with self-etching primer, I gave them another wipe with a clean towel.

I have to download that program to post pics. I am taking pics along the way.

Grappletractor

Quote from: Shawn on March 31, 2006, 01:58:17 PM

I have to download that program to post pics. I am taking pics along the way.

You can do the same thing with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which if you have Windows XP I am sure you have.

Shawn

Grapple,
I have XP, where might I find this program?

Grappletractor

Oh sorry I meant to say Microsoft Photo Editor.If you right click on a photo you have saved in your PC a menu will appear and it should be in there.

Shawn

Here is a picture of my stacked steel. Look at that it worked!!!!!

Grappletractor

Shawn, nice looking pile of steel there. Will you be putting that buzz box in the background to work today ?

Shawn

No, unfortunitly. I was helping my wifes charity with some electrical work. Next weekend I'll be install a deck for a friend. I also have to power that thing up. I was going to make an " extension cord " but thats going to be $$$$$. I have to clean the remainder of my steel. I also need more primer an to drill my holes. I went to tractor supply today ( they have alot of cool stuff). I bought 4 lynch pins for my vertical guides. Due to the weight I'm going to make the cutter head dettachable from the carriage. Maybe when the deck check clears, I'll buy some wire. Also keeping my eye on the delphi situation.
Shawn...

highpockets

Shawn, I am curious about removing the cutterhead from the carriage.  Isn't that going to be involved?  Maybe I'm going to learn something here.  Keep us posted.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Grappletractor

Just a quick update to show my slow progress. Here's a picture of the bed all leveled up with crossmembers tacked in place .

Grappletractor

Here is a photo of my homebrew welding posititioner, pulley chained to overhead beam, cable from winch on four wheeler run through pulley back down and around side rail on saw bed. Four wheeler anchored down by Grappletractor himself   :D

highpockets

Grappletractor, thank God that you are still young and can work on the floor. That is a nice looking frame. 
Louisiana Country boy

Grappletractor

Thank you Highpockets ,

Yes I am doing this out of my new garage and I don't have much set up in there , in fact not even a decent bench. Yes, thank God that at 46 I am in pretty good health and can get down close to the ground as long as I don't have to bend straight forward , my gut interfears with that  :D
I been to your web site and seen your nice shop set up , wow that must be niced !
Must have taken you a few years to collect all those nice goodies in tools .
Please stop in any time you're up my way. I could use your brain power  ;)

highpockets

Grappletractor
It has been a long time getting all of this junk gathered up.  I returned from overseas the first time in 1980 and poured the slab for the shop before the house.  Been adding junk ever since. My ideas were that when I got ready to retire I'd have everything in place to do custom machine work.  I did not realize that iron was going to get heavier. As for coming up your way,  we are planning a visit to D.C. in June. Who knows, we may just wind up in your neck of the woods.  Thanks

Louisiana Country boy

Grappletractor

Quote from: highpockets on April 23, 2006, 06:25:10 PM
Grappletractor
It has been a long time getting all of this junk gathered up.  I returned from overseas the first time in 1980 and poured the slab for the shop before the house.  Been adding junk ever since. My ideas were that when I got ready to retire I'd have everything in place to do custom machine work.  I did not realize that iron was going to get heavier. As for coming up your way,  we are planning a visit to D.C. in June. Who knows, we may just wind up in your neck of the woods.  Thanks

Just let me know before you head out and I'll give you my address and phone number . Park your camper in my yard and we'll run water and electric to it , stay a while  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!