iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Russian Olive, Autumn Olive, the same?

Started by johnday, March 30, 2006, 05:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnday

The subject line says it all. Every year the Conservation district sends me a flier for tree sales. We usually buy something. But there is always a tree/bush called Autumn Olive. Is this the same as Russian Olive? It's touted as a wildlife habitat plant, and it's supposed to be a native plant. Anyone got a clue? ??? ;D
Trucks are red, tractors are blue.  Monroe Mi, for now, Barton City soon.

Larry

Don't even think of getting any.  I planted some that I got from our state as it was highly recommended for birds.  At one time our state also recommended multi flora rose for quail...think they spent a few zillion with assistance to get rid of it.

It is a highly invasive species and extremely difficult to control.  Now it is on the states noxious species list.  From experience it not only will invade pasture, but I'm sure if given enough time take over pasture.  Saw it off and it comes back twice as fast and bigger.  Cut stump with chemicals is the only threat to it.  Think I finally have it all killed out...but wouldn't surprise me if I see one.

Again don't even think of getting any.

Did a quick Google...read about it right here.

http://www.vnps.org/invasive/inveleag.htm

I saw they recommended serviceberry as a good alternative...I call it sarvis...excellent alternative and a native that I can recommend.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bitternut

Larry is right on with his comments on Autumn Olive. Unfortunately it is still sold by many NYS county soil and water conservation districts in their annual tree and shrub sales. I have questioned and complained to them about still selling it the last couple of years to no avail. They are aware of it being invasive but the wheels of government turn real slow. There is so much of it around the country now it probably doesn't matter anymore if they do or don't offer it.

Ron Scott

Yes, very invasive. Don't plant it!!! :-[
~Ron

Phorester

To answer your question, Russian olive and autumn olive are two different species.  But I echo what the other posters have said.  Autumn olive is such a good wildlife food that it spreads far and fast. 

Our agency used to sell it, but we stopped probably 15 years ago.

Dale Hatfield

I had a garden center call and leave message at work. Free for the taking.
Me and other instructor had a good  laugh.
I wouldn't take that Dang stuff if'n they was paying me to burn it. I scared it might live through the fire and take over again. Plum wore out  a brand new brush hog and a clearing saw.  Just  claiming back what was mine.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!