iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking 1600 owners

Started by Mike Wazowski, March 29, 2006, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wazowski

Hello All. 

Thank you for this forum, the information to be learned here is invaluable.

I am in the market for a sawmill for personal use, and as I am not getting any younger, decided not to put of aquiring a mill any longer.  I would prefer to have a mill with as many hydraulic features as I can reasonably afford. 

I have been looking at the Timberking line of sawmills, comparing them to other manufacturers and I am impressed with the quality of design, features, options and pricing.  They seem to be a good value from people with a good reputation.

I have narrowed down my choice to the Model 1600.  It has the basic hydraulics that would make life a lot easier.  I considered the B-20 which seems to be a fine machine, but it is a little more money than I can justify for personal use only.

Questions  that I do have about the Model 1600 concern the log turner and log clamp.  These appear to be manually operated devices.  Does the log turner have any problems with turning logs or cants?  Is the log turner easy to operate?  How about the log clamp - how does it operate?  Do you like the electric engagement clutch?  Are there any other features that impress you?  What do you not like about this machine?

I would appreciate any opinions from people that have experience with the Timberking Model 1600.

Thanks All,

Mike Wazowski

ronwood

Mike,

I would like to welcome you to the forom. Sorry but I can't help you with the Timberking. Own a Woodmizer myself.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

treecyclers

Mike-
I have a B1600, and love it for the most part.
When I had it built for me, I had them put all the bells and whistles on it, like the hydraulic loader arms, turner (manual), and so forth.
The loaders are fantastic! I have loaded logs up to 4500 pounds on it without issue, and the mill as a whole is great.
It cuts accurately, I have less than 1/16" variance in the cut on a 16' log, blade changes are easy and quick, and it fires right up every time, even in the snow.
The blade clutch is nice, and it is nice when I jam a blade after hitting a nail or whatever buried in a log, it's easy to shut it down fast to prevent damage to anything important.
It sounds like you're a weekend warrior, which is great!
I use mine for production, as I am also a custom furniture builder as well as a lumber dealer in my area.
I have sawn pine, juniper, mesquite, ironwood, and eucalyptus without issue, some up to 36" diameter at the large end, which takes a little massaging with a chainsaw to fit it through the cutter head.
In all, I am very happy with my selection.
I am about ready to step up to the B20, as the demands on me and the mill are starting to exceed what it's capabilities are, as well as what my capabilities are with it.
For a weekend warrior, it's ideal!
You really couldn't ask for a better choice of mill in that respect.
But, as I mentioned, for my own needs, producing 1500 boardfeet a day or more, and doing it quickly, I am starting to exceed what the mill is capable of, and instead of pounding on the mill to make it go faster, I'll be selling it very soon and ordering a B20.
Mine has 40 hours on it, and I plan on doing the maintenance on it this weekend (40 hrs is the recommended time that lots of things get changed and replaced, like oil, hydraulic fluid, and so on), so it will be primed for another adventure in the woods.
Oh, one other thing that I love about it is it's stability. I have had it on a 25 degree incline crossing the incline, and it was very tedious, but it never thought about going over.
Talk about white knuckle moments!
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.
I am always happy to help a fellow sawyer wannabe get their mill wheels under them!
How can I help!
Dave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum Mike, 

Did you ask the guys at TimberKing for names and contact info of people that may have a 1600 somewhere in your area? It'd sure be great to be able to look at one sawing and talk to the owner. 

We've got a Wood-Mizer mill also but the guys down at TK in KC will build you a good mill. 

Treecyclers,  I sure like your town.  Only spent one night there but loved the restaurant they had down town right off the main square in some old warehouse.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

treecyclers

Bibby-
That sounds like the PBC, the Prescott Brewing Company.
One of my favorite haunts as well, until it starts getting polluted with the local college kids mid to late evening. The beer is great, the food's pretty good, and I have a close friend that lives a block away if I get too polluted to drive.
Besides, when I stop there, it's usually when I am coming home with a full load of Ponderosa lumber in the bed of the truck and the mill hitched to the back end, so it pays to be safe about it!
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Back40x2

Mike,

I am a proud owner of a TK 1600.  I love my machine 8) 8) 8)  I have had virtually no problems what so ever it in 2 years.  I not only saw for myself, but for a living as well.  I just wish I had bought the B20.  More production oriented!

As for your questions!  The log turner works well since I modified it.  The way it comes from the factory is not best.  I have submitted my mod to them for future use on the 1600's.  Anyway, the rod the attaches to the turner is too long and thin.  With a lot of pressure, it wants to bow something wicked.  So i took it off and and mounted a bracket onto the toe board attachment rest, mounted a 3/4 zerk bearing, slid the rod back through and TA DAHHHHH 8) 8) 8)  All the support I need now.  To be quite honest though, unless it's a real big log, and I mean 10+ feet and 24"+ dia.  I just put my stops up and use big blue!!!!  My 48" LOGRITE cant dog to turn it.  It's really easier and quicker.  You'll see ;)  It won't take long to figure out what works well for you ;)

The log clamp is awesome!  It rides in and out on a threaded rod.  The clamp itself is mounted to a reversed half nut fixture.  This way instead of turning till you get to the log, just tilt the clamp forward and slide up to the log, turn handle a few times to snug it up and you my friend are ready to saw 8) 8) 8)  You really have to see it to get the full effect!

The electric clutch, has been flawless!  Just make sure you dont flip the switch until engine is up to speed.  Do not shut it off after every pass thru the log and then back on to go thru again.  When you do shut it off, do it when engine is near full rpms!

What don't I like about the mill.  Now that I know a little bit about them, I don't like the roller guide mounting.  I think they could have come up with a better system on the drive wheel side especially.  And it's not enough mill for me now.  Of course I did not know that when I bought it!  There's just enough manual labor it now after 2years of running it, to make me want to upgrade to the B-20!  There again, you'll learn real quick what works the easiest for you!  Oh yeah! one more thing.  The scale.  It leaves a lot to be desired.  It's accurate persay?? but not setworks, or accuset accurate.  There is actually some labor in reading the scale.  It's down quite low on the head post.  I'm 6'5" too, so I have to start bending once I'm down around 6 inches.

Other than that Mike, I have had nothing but good luck and Praise from my customers on how well it performs compared to other mills.  No offense to Woodmizers, but we have a dealer right here in Maine about 1 hour from me and I went with the Timberking.  It just makes sense in the long run.  I know, that's been discussed before!!!!

Mike, Best of luck to you!  Have all the confidence in the world with the Timberking Decision.  I don't believe you'll be disappointed!

If you need anything, don't  hesitate to ask!

Pete
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Mike Wazowski

Thanks for the warm welcome and for your replies.  Nothing like the voice of experience.  It sounds like the 1600
will serve my needs.  I've got some logs stockpiled at the farm and here at home waiting to be milled. 

My order is placed with Timberking and it should be available by June.  I ordered the 25HP Kholer upgrade, the mechanical toeboards and manual log turner.

Hey, Back40x2 -  I was watching the DVD that Timberking sent and I could see what you were refering to concerning the drive shaft for the log turner.  You can see it bow out under the torque stress when the log is being turned.  An additional carrier at mid span would do the trick as per your modification.  What was Timberkings' response to your suggestion for additional support?  That ought to be worth at least a free box of blades, right?  ;D  Or better yet, cut you a special price on a new B-20.   ;D

You all have been most helpfull.  I can't wait to start slinging sawdust. 

Thanks again,

Mike Wazowski

Thank You Sponsors!