iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer manual log loader

Started by stumpy, March 28, 2006, 09:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

How many of you use the manual log loader on your saws?  How well does it work?  Any tips?  I normally use a skidsteer to load logs onto a bunk and then roll them on to the saw. I have a log to saw that is 34" DIAM AND 9' long, and my skidsteer won't lift it.  I was hoping to use the loader.  Any thoughts???
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

IL Bull

I built a manual log turner using a boat winch (1500# two speed with strap).  I made a frame and mounted it to the saw.  Works good.  Takes the work out of turning a log plus you have control for squaring up the log on the second slab cut.
Whoops,  I should have read the post better.  you said log loader.  Sorry.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

raycon

I have the hydraulic loader and the manual loader on the mill. Using the manual loader is time consuming but its worked
fine the times I've used it. Replacing the hand crank with a 12VDC winch would speed things up.  I use it mostly to pull logs to the mill at this time -- or to pull logs off a stack that can't be rolled off with a cant hook/peavy. 
Lot of stuff..

Bibbyman

We had a manual WM LT40 for 7 years.  When we sawed mobile and had a large log to load we'd just roll it up the rams using a chain looped under it and pulled by something like a PU from the other side.  You've got two engineering principles working for you – inclined plane and a gear reduction of 2/1.

I wish I had a picture to show you but it's the same method used to load logs onto a wagon or truck before loaders were invented.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

stumpy

Thanks Bibbyman. I use that method(I think it's called parbuckling) all the time to load logs on my trailer.  What I haven't figured out on the mill is, how to attach the cable so I have the correct pull angles.
On my trailer, I have 2 side ramps. I loop a chain from the top of each ramp down to the ground. I then roll the log onto the loop. I then take my winch line over the log and attach it to the chain. It works great.  On the mill however, I don't see a way to run the cable up high enogh to accomplish this. 
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

ronwood

stumpy,

Could make some ramps that could attach to the bunks and roll the log up the ramps using the forks on the skidsteer?  Problem would be holding the log when you need to get another bite on the log. Doesn't Woodmizer ramps for manual mills have some type of stop tha keeps it from rolling back?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Thank You Sponsors!