iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thought y'all might enjoy seeing this Stihl 070

Started by CHARLIE, November 13, 2002, 09:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

Picture is from  May/June 1986 "Fine Woodworking" magazine.

The caption under the picture reads:
At some 6 ft. in diameter and 8 ft. long, this bubinga log tips the Doyle scale at about 4,800 bd. ft.  So it can fit on the bandmill at The Sawmill in Nazareth, Pa., sawyer Bill Hall rips it through the heart with a Stihl 070 chainsaw and a 60 in. bar. "A 4 ft. log is fine. I like to cut those," says Hall. "But this gets to be too much."    Picture by Scott Landis  

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

KiwiCharlie

G'day Charlie,

Awesome!  Now thats my type of log.  Would be nice to create some large family dining tables from that monster.
I like his freehand ripping technique too!  :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

CHARLIE

I wonder how he kept from burying the tip of the saw. Heck...he can't even see it.

Also, I bet he was one tired puppy when he finally got that log cut in half.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Timber_Tramp

Hi Charlie, I dont think Bill knows what saw he's using. I think its an 076.  Has he got the footage right? Doyle= tip dia in inches, - 4, divided by 4, then squared (x log length in feet.)
    Gypo

Dennis

Gypo...is that not the same pic you posted a long time ago on another site?  If it is, I am pretty sure we decided it was definitely an 076...from the same family as the 056 (handlebar style)???  I haven't a clue about Doyle or any of his cronies....
Just Log It.

AtLast

OH MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...now THAS a bar.....heck-of-a log too :o

Thank You Sponsors!