iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i feel stupid....

Started by Mr Mom, March 26, 2006, 07:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

Our van started to run rough last week. I would Spit and sputterwhen you gave it the gas.
     It ran the same way that my s-10 ran when a coil pack went bad so i replaced the coil pack and that was not it >:( >:( >:(.
     Then replaced the fuel pump thought it was it and that was not it >:( >:( >:( ::).
     Then cleaned the spark plugs ran like new ::) ::) ::).

The total damage about $300 that i didnt need to spend.

I feel really stupid for not cleaning the plugs first ::) ::) ::).

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

jon12345

Better safe than sorry,  I know someone who just replaced their thermostat, fuel filter, plugs, wires, oil, then found out it was a bad cylinder   :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Mr Mom

Jon1234... When i had older trucks that needed to be worked on all the timeThat would have been the first place i would have started.
     I think that i have been Mr Mom too long  :D.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

IL Bull

How did you clean your plugs?  Seems like with all that effort it would be better to replace them. ???
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Sprucegum

I took my van to a reputable dealer. They completely rebuilt the rearend and re-alligned the front end before they figured out it was the steady bearing gone bad  :o
I paid for all the new parts but they lost on the labor  :D

Mr Mom

IL Bull... I cleaned the plugs with a small file and sand paper.
     The reason that i didnt replace them is that the parts store was closed by the time i found what was the problem.
     I live in a little town next to another little big town and on sunday everthing early. You can drive throught at 4 pm and stop at the light and be the only one there :D.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

JimBuis

You feel stupid?  That ain't nuthin!! ;D  I feel a story comin on. :P ;)

Once upon a time  About 15 years ago, I bought an old Ford station wagon for next to nothing and it looked great.  It had had plastic covers on the seats since it was new.  The interior was perfect and it ran real good.

A couple of months after I bought it, I started to have trouble.  I'd be driving along and it would die for no reason.  It seemed like it ran out of gas, but at times this happened right after a fill-up.  I was pretty handy around cars, so I was going to "fix it myself". ;D

I changed the fuel filter.  That didn't work. I had to have the car towed home.  I pulled the top of the carburetor off, the float bowl was empty!  I changed the fuel pump.  No good.  Many times after it had set for awhile, the car would start up again and run fine.

I got so fed up after several weeks of this that out of frustration I decided to start at one of the car and work my way to the other.  I pulled the gas tank out of the car and the fuel line was going to be next.

I noticed that the gas tank had been welded. ;)  Ah hah!!  I shined a flashlight into the now empty gas tank.  I could see something strange laying in the bottom, but couldn't tell what it was.  I was able to reach a pair of long handled pliers into the tank and grab hold of it.  It was cloth, it was big and long, it was a 100% complete, men's, long sleeved, button up shirt with collar!! :o :o  The only thing missing was the buttons.  It seems that the guy who had fixed the tank had filled it with water so he could weld it then used a bunch of rags to soak up the water afterwards. :(  I made a special trip to go tell him that he had forgotten one. :) :) :-\ ;D

I don't know for sure how much time and money I lost on that one. :-\  Boy these experiences are expensive................just to be able to tell a story years later.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Thank You Sponsors!