iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I get so DanG mad!

Started by CHARLIE, March 26, 2006, 04:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Dis one Eddard ??  GP plant in Palatka Fl.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

swampy

It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

SwampDonkey

You guys need more value added, when that 2 x 4 gets planed, the chips are collected and sold for pulp, no waste. ;)  :D

I still want a 2 x 4, I'm not expecting the guy to give away 1/2 of wood on each dimension...I just want a 2 x 4 :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

I watched my son peel a Banana for breakfast yesterday and thought to myself,what a waste he didn't even eat the 1/4" of peel on the outside. >:(

I'm only buying peeled Bananas from now on.  8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

I don't blame ya. :D

Here's some instand mashed potatoes, so ya don't have to throw away the peelings, although I've eaten many potato hides with some good butter melted in them. You can only do this with good Carleton county potatoes. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

I'm guessing you need the full sized 2x4's for the new towel rack in the bathroom?   :P

RichlandSawyer

What is this world coming to?? Boards too short 10 hotdog buns in a pack and only 8 hotdogs, braile on drive up ATM's, cats and dogs living together, its total pandalerium.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Paul_H

Yeah,hot dogs are scary,you never know what's in them.When I hear about the occasional body part being found in them,it makes me wonder if the kid that used to sing "I wish I was an Oscar M*yer wiener" didn't finally get his wish  :-X

SwampDonkey

As a local gal once said, 'You just have to take an anti-histamine and go on'.  ::)

Norm

Paul I wish you'd quit talking about food...my poor stomach is growling from reading this. Now I'm going to have to go home and rumage up a hot dog or two.

Course that's not gonna satisfy me maybe a mooseburger would be more like it. ;D

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

It's your own DanG fault  :o :o :o

You were supposed to buy one of those elastic tape measures to measure that DanG 2X4 :D :D :D ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

pigman

Bro. Noble, I thing you have the right idea. He needs to buy one of those cheap Chinese measuring tapes. Since they are probably over one inch short it will look like the lumber is full size. 8) :P
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

barbender

I'd be surprised if the mills are actually sawing the "2x4's" the full dimension before drying and planing.  1/2" of waste seems pretty excessive.  When I want some 3/4" stock I saw it 4/4 and plane it down, and that is more than enough.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

barbender
You are probably right, but how far right, don't really know.  :)  Different species and practices in the mills will come up with different rough target sizes.
Was in a mill once and measuring the dry thickness variation after drying, before planing. The oversizes were substantial. Thinking it was due to poor alignment of the mill (and that was part of it), the production manager explained it as they had a real good market for dry shavings, and could sell all they produced.
Didn't make sense to put good wood into shavings rather than lumber, as the value in lumber was many times the wood's value as a shaving. 
Some mills have their machinery fine tuned to where there is very little thickness variation, so studs clean up with little surfacing. Other mills don't pay attention to the fine tuning, and oversize so they get clean product. Costs them good money but often it is hidden in the total, and not identifiable as poor sawing practices.
Sounds like those running band mills that don't keep the bands sharp, get wavy lumber, and may set to a target thickness to account for it. But a good straight cut will allow the target size to get closer to what apparently you get - and less waste (if no shaving market  :) ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: barbender on March 29, 2006, 11:10:38 PM
I'd be surprised if the mills are actually sawing the "2x4's" the full dimension before drying and planing.  1/2" of waste seems pretty excessive.  When I want some 3/4" stock I saw it 4/4 and plane it down, and that is more than enough.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this

Hard to make a 2 x 4 when they accept wood down to 2 -1/2" on the top as treelength. I do realize it's not studwood, which I think has to have a 5" top min.

CHARLIE

Cripes! You guys keep talking about deminsions and 2" X 4" and I done told y'all..... I ain't got a problem with a 2" X 4" being nominal deminsions.  Not only that!  I wasn't even talking about a stupid 2" X 4"!  So NO! I wasn't dealing with a precut stud!   I was talking about the length of a 1" X 12" sold as an 8 foot long board that ain't square on either end and they only give you 1/8" to square it up.  Sheeeeesh!  Y'all somehow got off on deminsions and 2" X 4"s and only a few alert members talked about the problem I initially addressed.  I reckon next time I go to the lumber yard I'm gonn take my square and a tape and go through every blamed board they got and if I don't find a squared end on the board and it doesn't have enough waste to square it.......I'll hand my square and tape to the man at the yard and tell him to find me one. ;D 8)  OK....I'm done ranting.....y'all can go back to talking about your deminsions now. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

I still prefer a 2" x 4" ;D :D :D :D :D

RUN[/size]

pigman

Poor Charlie got up at 2 am to change all his clocks, had trouble setting the clock on the VCR or microwave and got all bent out of shape. ;) ;D  Get a little sleep Charlie and everything will be alright. :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D :D  No wonder I had trouble sleeping in. I fergot to get up and change the clocks.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CHARLIE

:D :D :D ;D Nope.....Charlie and Donna just got back from a trip to Washington D.C.  Took the train there and back.....now there's a story in itself.  It's a looooooong 2 day trip by train between here and there and there and here.  I did set my clocks though, but turned 'em the wrong way. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

Looks like Charlie got....ummm  ::) clocked ??? ;)

Don_Papenburg

Its spring back  Fall farward. 

Why is this stupidity still going on ?   lets just split the differance and leavit year'round.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

isawlogs

Don ....
     That would be to easy .  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

spring ahead, fall back.....ain't it? ;)

dredgeslavedave

I always take my tape to the lumber yard when I buy lumber. There is a lot of difference in length. A lot of them are 1/3 to 5/8 of an inch over. But a lot of them are short. I don't take a square, I use there's.

Charlie, The short board you got was probably one that I cut. I had already cut it off twice and it was still too short. The boss was yelling and cussing at me. I explained That time was money and I was not going to cut it off again. That must have made him happy cause he got a big smile on his face before he walked away. Dave.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

Thank You Sponsors!