iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Phase Three: Final Raising w/ Foard Panel

Started by Raphael, March 26, 2006, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphael

10am Wednesday Foard Panel arrived with a fully loaded truck crane hauling a 20ft trailer, they were gone by 1:45pm Friday.
  In between there was constant activity, my part involved final fitting and assembly of the office frame.

Here's photos taken at quitting time on Wednesday.

Thursday was my longest day; ~7am-6pm & 8pm-1am.
I'll post a blow by blow and more pictures in a follow up.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Raphael

Thursday: (no time for pictures)
  From ~8am on my assistant ($10/hr and almost worth it) and I spent hours on the office deck assembling wall timbers amid a whirlwind of activity, the roar of the crane and a generator.  I was hampered by my assistant and several interuptions including a long fruitless phone quest for kiln dried 2x8s of any length.  In the afternoon we collected the tie beams and principle rafters together in an out of the way area still within reach of the crane.  I sent him home at 6pm.
  I took about two hours break and then set up lights and fired up our generator.  My wife and I spent some late night quality time assembling the three trusses that span the office so everything was ready when Foard's crew arrived at 7am.

Friday:

We started early and had the office walls up before 9am.

Fortunately my father arrived on site in time to get these pictures for me:

Strapping the first truss:

Flying the truss in and settling it in place:

I took these fairly shortly after the last purlin was pegged:

Foard had pre-assembled the walls and were waiting on the frame so I never actually saw it standing assembled from the outside... I'll post a follow up with all Foard's panels in place once I get back out with the camera.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

hillbilly

Raphael,
     You have built something ,where I have only thought about it ,my hat is off to you sir GOOD JOB.
    Did foard panel put your wiring in side the panels for you also ?
     Hillbilly

Raphael

Thanks much... Not all is as originally planned but things fit together very nicely.  The Foard guy's were very complimentary of my joinery (especially the office), I suspect they were a little nervous about having to come back next week if something went wrong with the office raising.

There is no wiring so far, all Foard did in that respect was leave door jacks loose to ease installation...  I've hired a local company to do both the electric and plumbing.  I'll be doing as much of the rough wiring and plumbing as I can squeeze into my schedule.

Looks like a roof is my first priority...

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

thecfarm

That is quite the house.I like the add on you did on the side.It looks good.Keep the pictures coming.We took alot of pictures of our house too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raphael

Here are three interior shots:

Looking up...

Looking into the office...

The office ceiling...
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

hillbilly

Is that sheet rock on the inside of your panels ?
HILLBILLY

HARLEYRIDER

Greenwoods Timberworks

Raphael

Quote from: hillbilly on March 28, 2006, 05:50:44 AM
              Is that sheet rock on the inside of your panels ?

Yup; it's the damp proof form of sheet rock called blue board.  SWMBO and I were kind of liking the way the color worked w/ the blue stain on the pine and the gray of the spruce.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

TexasTimbers

Rafe I need to catch up on this thread later but just wanted to say thanks for posting your progress and the inspiration! 8) 8) 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Raphael

Glad I could return a little inspiration, I've certainly found  plenty here on the FF.

In the past few weeks a chimney (installed by our local stone mason and his partner) and attic roof sheathing have been added.  I'll have to write on the joys of solo roof sheathing for my webpage...

Metal roofing going on this week, a very different sort of crew on this job from what we experienced with Foard Panel.

But their pace has given me time to get more pictures and visit with the local fauna.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

ElectricAl

Raphael,

Great project 8)

Does your metal roof use hidden clips?

Also, it looks like OSB, Felt Paper, then tin.

Is there any thing for condensation?

Or is condensation not an issue.

We have 3 metal roofs set in place with screws that have rubber washers. They all leak >:(

We are looking to be leak free on the next roof ;)

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Raphael

ElectricAl,
  Yup, it's structural "seamless" on clips so it can shrink and grow w/ the temperature, the design also eliminates the need for ice shielding.
  It's a bit different to walk on a floating pan and the surface gets really slick as dust and pollen accumulate.

The OSB in the lower roof is the upper surface of an insulated panel.  In theory condensation shouldn't be a problem and any that does occur should be above the felt and vent out.  Had I the budget for it I'd have added a layer of Cedar breather on top of the 30# felt.

The upper roof is a "cold" roof and really well ventilated so condensation shouldn't be a problem there either.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Thank You Sponsors!