iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 024 oil pump

Started by summerjob, March 24, 2006, 12:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

summerjob

I'll try to make this a short story.  About 4 hours of use ago, I had a new oil pump installed on my Stihl 024av.  When the shop did it he told me that they discontinued the part #(Which was all metal I believe) and there was a replacement #1121 647 0403 which is what he installed.  I vaguely remember him saying that he had to leave a washer out possibly???  The reason I am mentioning this is because; in using my saw yesterday, the clutch bolt broke and the new oiler which is plastic was destroyed.  Which came first the chicken or the egg.  Did the clutch destroy the oiler or did the oiler (because of incorrect installation) break the clutch bolt.  It looks like the oiler was being rubbed (the plastic is broken and worn away).  I have seen used oil pumps on ebay part #1121 647 0400 is that the original metal part #.  Is it worth buying a used oiler to install is this saw.  A new one is $35 a pop.  I have been using this forum for years.  I was searching for someone on here that I thought I recalled sold Stihl parts, but haven't found the posts.
Thanks in advance for your responses

StihlDoc

Can you better explain "the clutch bolt broke" since there is no separate bolt for the clutch on the 024. The "bolt" or threaded portion of material that the clutch mounts to is actually the crankshaft. The oil pump would not cause this damage but using an air powered impact wrench to remove/install the clutch could.

Alta

sounds like some info is missing to me too - lets hope that broken "clutch bolt" isnt the threaded end of the crank. Also there is nothing wrong with nylon oil drive gears if installed correctly. This is yet another example of why you should work on your own saws. How bout some pics? Also Ive purchased a lot of parts on Ebay sucsessfully - you just have to verify that you are geting what you want, and that the condition is clearly described. Post a link to some pics and we can go from there.

summerjob

Sorry no digital camera for pictures.  I mean the nut that holds the clutch on (not a bolt) broke into three pieces.  It has like 3 lugs on it that fits into the clutch.  I'm going to try to buy a parts saw today.

Thank You Sponsors!