iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craftsmen Professional Table Saw Broke

Started by GF, March 24, 2006, 09:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I got me one of those Sears Craftsmen Pro Series saws 15 months ago, I use it off and on.  Last night while using it it would not cut nothing, it would stall cutting 3/4 pine.  I decided something was not right with that 1 3/4 hp motor. I took it out of the base and pulled the cover on the run capacitor, I found melted aluminum out the top and the side, the side has holes in it that looked like someone shot it with a shotgun.  Looks like today I will be picking up a capacitor for it today.

After looking on the internet looks like this CBB60 is a China made capacitor.  I am also now guessing the motor they use in these saws are China made also, the label on it shows Sears Craftsmen 1 3/4 motor, along with the amp and general info but does not say where the motor is made, guess they were to ashamed to put it on there.

thedeeredude

I prefer taiwan made stuff to chinese.  Better quality usually.

CHARLIE

I prefer USA made stuff, but its hard to find anymore. Between Taiwan and Chinese I'll pick Taiwan depending on the company.  Two things I believe about Chinese is the tolerances are not as good and people that don't drink coffee can't design a decent coffee pot.  Not much ticks me off more than a coffee decanter that you can't pour out of without it spilling 'cause the spout is too small and shallow. Also, Chinese motors just seem to run hotter.  I just hate it that when I go downtown DanG near everything I pick up says "Made in China"....... and they aren't even a friendly country to us. >:(   

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

IMERC

match the frame, RPM's, type and shaft size and you can have a Marathon or Lee or host of others made in America...
Grangers or Johnstone's are good sources for motors...

since the motor was running and producing no power there is a good chance that was a run capacitor...
Both those places will have replacement caps or just about any HVAC supply house....
up-grade to a 2hp without run caps and do yurself a favor...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

GF

Got me a capacitor at johnstone today.

IMERC,
    You mentioned getting a 2hp and getting away from a run capacitor, can you explain why a two horse does not need one compared to a 1 3/4 hp, I am just curious because I neveer noticed this before?  I am guessing it has to do witht he winding or something but dont really know.

IMERC

run capactors makes a lesser constructed motor (can we say cheaper) do more. You can have run capacitors on 2 horse if ya want.
you will notice a difference in those two motors despite the HP rating... the one with the run caps has less of everything in it... run caps are like a jump start to help out a weak starter or battery...
2HPs are generally cheaper than 1.75's because it is a more common motor..
A "real" 2 hores with full sized run windings will last fer years and generally deliver under duress a lot better without the ill affects / effects..
BTW I'm guessing that this is a run capped motor that you have... also .. the motor could have killrd the cap you had... at this point yur into another motor.. so upgrade and do it right...
is this a direct drive arangement you have or belt drive??

brdmkr

If you decide to replace the motor, I'd check out www.surpluscenter.com.  They tend to have American made motors for pretty good prices.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

D._Frederick

Gf.

Single phase motors of this size generally don't have run caps, I would bet that it is a starting cap.

Check the mechanical switch that is on the rotor to make sure it is not stuck closed. This would cause the cap to explode.

IMERC

sawguy21

If you replace the motor, get a dual voltage and wire it for 240 if you have the power available. Instant startup, more power and less heat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill

GF

I think I missed something here  ??? . Did Sears stop their lifetime guarantee on Craftsman equipment ? I haven't tried it since KMart merged/took over but I do have some older ( handtools - sockets, . . .  ) that I could always get replaced for free if one broke . I love those life time deals - I KEEP those receipts  ;D  - heck they've even replaced stuff without a receipt if it just says "Craftsman" on it.

If they still do it I'd sure be tempted to make them keep replacing motors till I got one that runs. Or I'd even think about giving it back to them for a model Made in USA - if they had any left of course  ;D  .

The only reason I'd go to Sears was their life time guarantee -  if they stopped honoring it guess I'll be looking more closely at others.

Good Luck

Kevin_H.

it's my understanding that the lifetime gar. was only on the hand tools, sockets wrenches screwdrivers, stuff like that.

Now home depot has a lifetime warranty on there power tools.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

thedeeredude

The lifetime warranty is only on hand tools.  Home Depot used to have lifetime warratny on Ridgid tools, but if Im not mistaken its a 3 year warranty anymore.  The big craftsman power tools usually only have a 1 year warranty but you can buy protection agreements for 2,3 or 5 years. 

wiam

I have an uncle that is certified welder.  He use to buy craftsman "professional" grinders to use for his business.  He never had one go a year but they replaced them several times.  Then they found out he was a business and told him the warrentee did not cover commercial use. ::) ::)

Will

sawmill_john

Good luck finding a motor that is "built" in the USA even the high end motors are now made off shore and might be labled or assembled some what in the USA, I know a few years back I was buying from a supplier and he also supplied motors to a national account for car wash equipment, who wanted top of the line motors, they had problems and had to open up a motor to find a made in china sticker inside, that was a Baldor motor, he lost the account, and he or the company rep. didn't even know that was going on.  I also had many manufacturers move to Mexico, we definatly saw a decline in quality but what can you do, it really concerns me that at some point the USA will not be in control of any quaility manufacturing.  I have an accient craftsman table saw(50's vintage) that  I've rebuilt and it is solid as a rock, I even picked up a parts saw for $5.00, that included a motor and cast iron table, can't beat that with a stick.

john

Thank You Sponsors!