iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'Tis but a babe

Started by DanG, March 23, 2006, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I found this little fellow emerging from the edge of the tractor seat the other day.  This may be the smallest pine tree I ever saw.

He has a big brother, too.

I've been intending to build a roll bar (ROPS) for the tractor, but maybe I'll just grow one. ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Thats cool!  You gotta nurse them fellers now that ya found em!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Them better not be NZ pine trees, you might go out in the morning and find your tractor embedded in a tree stump   :o :D

Ian  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

They're Loblolly pines, Ian, which is just about as bad.  Those pics are about a week old.  The little one has already died because it was just rooted in a bit of dust.  The bigger one must be growing into the foam rubber of the seat.  It has been there several weeks and will soon be poking me in the butt.  It'll hafta go before long. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

The folks put some of the foam along the sill of the house a few years ago. Bad idea. Anyway I find spruce and cedar seedlings grow into that along with a little rotten sill  ::) that I pull once in awhile. Last fall the roof of the house had thousands of white spruce seeds, coulda ran a filter over the gutter pipe to collect white spruce seed. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Several years ago a bunch of pine seedlings sprouted in the thick layer of pine straw on the roof of my shop.  My Son-in-law pulled the whole mess down with a rake and picked about 25 foot-high seedlings out for his Dad to plant.  Last I heard, most of'em were doing well. :)

sprucebunny

That's really neat, Dan ;D But you better find a spot for that bigger one before the big roots are pokin' ya  :o :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I gotta wonder what that poor little seedling is feeding on in that seat.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

There is a pine seedling ::) growing out of a city owned brick building in Boyne City. I first noticed it about 5 years ago. Often wondered where it can get its nurishment and water from.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SPIKER

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 23, 2006, 06:32:29 PM
I gotta wonder what that poor little seedling is feeding on in that seat.  ::)
:D :D :D :o :o ::)

that is a good one mr swampdonkey

I was thinking the same thing  LOTS of fertalizer there  or is that FARTALIZER roflmao :D :D :-Xlhahaha

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

Don't bust a stitch. ;)

sandman2234

Quote from: DanG on March 23, 2006, 03:30:08 PM
picked about 25 foot-high seedlings out for his Dad to plant.  Last I heard, most of'em were doing well. :)

Sounds like something I heard when I was a teenager. However, Daddy brought home the seedlings, and there were a few more than that. I do believe the official number was 20,000 for a winter's work, in the rocks of southwest Arkansas. I can't believe those trees have matured into sawlogs. My how time flies.
   David from jax

asy

Cute Treelets, DanG...

But. In all seriousness. PLEASE get that ROPS!

Have heard awful stories of tractors without ROPS's...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!