iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

banding

Started by jake12, March 23, 2006, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake12

I am considering  using poly banding . anyone have experience with it ?  how does it compare with steel ?   thanks  dale

jpgreen

I've got some.  Pretty tough stuff, but I've never used steel so I can't compare the too..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Shamus

I'm using the poly as well. I just double up on the stuff, easy to work with. No problems so far, and no complaints.
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

GF

I am also using poly banding on my stacks of lumber, so far I have had good results.  Make sure to get the high strength banding, and a good quality tensioner and crimper.

IL Bull

I use steel.  After the wood drys and shrinks, I just pull the clamp off with nippers and tighten the band, then install a new clamp.  If you are banding oak it is best to use pieces of plastic around the corners so it won't turn black. :P  I take a five gallon bucket that oil comes in and cut it into strips.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Bibbyman

Jake,  I asked the same question a couple of months back.  I got some replies. We're still using steel but plan to get some poly to try.

Here is a link to that thread. 

Poly banding strap
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

I have been whipped and cut more than a few times by steel banding. ::) The poly would be a lot easier to handle as long as it does not stretch or slip.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mur

I use both steel and woven polyester.  3/4 inch.  Am getting to where I prefer the polyester.  Less hassle to work with.  My strapping supplier carries both types.  Bailey's-online has info on the polyester.  Type "strapping" in on their search engine.  I am away from my records at home so I can't compare prices of the steel or polyester that I pay. 
Don't dream it, be it.

FiremanEd

Poly is cheaper, steel is stronger.

We just tried a role of poly last month thinking we'd save a $100/month. The guys that do the banding put the dispenser cart w/ the poly in the corner and got the one w/ the steel back out. They couldn't get the poly as tight as the steel and a couple broke w/ 25cnt bundles of ties. We've never had a steel strap break unless you hit it w/ the forks. Restacking 25 ties didn't exactly make their day.

There's a 90% role of 3/4 poly in the mill house if anyone wants to come get it.

Ed
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Percy

Up here, the bridge timber folks say "Two 3/4 inch steel bands on EVERY lift" No one seems to like the plastic for shipping.  I think I might try a roll for keeping the "local" stock in order as I can get it way cheaper than the steel. (240.00 with taxes for a steel roll, aye carrumba!!!).  I been savin up the short pieces and crimpin them together as steel is so expensive these days.

Example: My mill is located in a auto wrecking yard. A local metal salvager came and ripped about a hunnert cars apart with a Hitachi 300 exavator(not a cheap machine), loaded alla the steel into trucks with this cool electromag thingie,. Point is, an operation like that wudda been unprofitable a few years back when I could get a roll of banding for 80.00.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

getoverit

I was going to go on a rant about the reasons alot of the US Steel mills have closed down, and the reason why we are paying so much for steel that is mostly imported from other countries, but I'll save that rant for now.

If I am not mistaken, there are several types of the fiber type banding. Is there any comparison of these types of bands or are they all being lumped into one?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jpgreen

What ever you do Don't buy banding from Harbor Freight.

A customer of mine did, and that stuff breaks like paper.  I seriously think there's paper in it... :D

I bought a huge roll of Poly Black off Ebay, and it's tough, but it was the only roll they had.

mur

I purchased orange woven polyester from Bailey's - a sponsor of this Forum.  It is rated according by the manufacturer as "strong as steel" in the same class.  A friend got some black polyester (not woven) and it had a smooth, slippery feel to it.  It broke on a regular basis.  So, I believe there are different grades of plastic strapping.  Go to Bailey's and look at some of the demo videos.  What sold me on the woven polyester was the dumping of a lift of Tolko OSB into the mud.  Tough stuff that woven polyester.  So I think getoverit is right - there are different grades of the fibre banding.
Don't dream it, be it.

logwalker

I am of the opinion that nothing should be purchased from Harbor Freight. I have been in the store and I can't believe the collection of junk they stock. The few things I have purchased were useless.  >:( LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Warren

A friend has a log home supply business.  He swears by the steel banding and swears at the plastic stuff.   Claims the plastic won't draw down as tight, and stretches during transport.  All of his outbound bundles use steel.

I bought the el cheapo basic steel banding kit from Harbor freight last year based on comments from my friend and this forum.  I've not had any problems other than of my  own making. I'm sure I'll eventually buy a better set up down the line.  But, it has been a good value starting out, for me.

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

sawguy21

We don't have Harbor Freight but they sound similar to Princess Auto. There are bargains there but buyer beware, a lot of it is junk.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jpgreen

I remember growing up in the 60's and my dad making a big deal about Japanese products being junk (which they were), and the value of buying American made quality.

Well I guess that lesson's been thrown out with the bath water..  :D ........ ::) ::) ::)

Bibbyman

We found a great source for both steel and polyester banding.  We've only used the poly a couple of days - about a dozen times and we're happy so far.  It's lighter and the cost per/foot is about half that of the same strength steel we were using at 1400 lbs.

Here we've used the ACME 5/8 polyester bands on bundles of 50 3x4s.

The despenser is coming in a couple of weeks so we knocked togeather this box so we could use it without it going all over the place.

I neglected to take a picture of the tensioner and sealer.  The seals are twice as high as the ones used on steel and you can't use the same tools.  Soo.... if you plan to use both steel and poly,  you need a set of tools for each.  We lucked into a set of nearly new ones for about half of new.  That helped a lot.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

We have used both steel and plastic for about 16 years. For plastic we use the 1/2"Tenex green. For steel we use 3/4"  .  We use steel for banding slabs or bundles of lumber that need the extra strength steel gives to make sure the stack does not vibrate apart in transit.  Most bundles we send out have stickers every 10 layers (Ever try to keep a stack of 12 wide 3 1/2"  30 layers high together without a few stabalizing stickers?)  We use plastic on these and have no problems. 

When used for the proper purpose, both have their advantages.  Mainly plastic is much cheaper and safer to use and does not stain the wood.  Also our biggest customer requires plastic banding and no steel.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ga_Boy

Jake,

I am a small one man operation, I picked up the kit from Bailey's for bundling grade stakes and customer orders.  The looks in my customers eyes when I ask if they want their order strapped together makes the kit worth while.  So grade stake orders are the only thing I have strapped, this is a requirement from the buyers.  I want to remember the orange stuff from Bailey's is rated to 3,000 pounds tensil strength. 

I have never used steel banding, the poly is easy to use and works well for my small operation.  I researched the stuff for a few days before i bought from Baileyl's the price is competative and there exists many grades of poly strapping.  I mention this so if you decide to compare make sure you are looking for rated tensile strength.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!