iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who to complain too

Started by badpenny, March 22, 2006, 05:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpenny

I moved 375  8" cement blocks, 30 at a time on a pallet with my bobcat today from my field to the back side of where I am going to build. I want to know who designed these blocks so heavy, so I can complain a bit.  ;D :D :D
   Cause they sure are heavier than I remember from summers working for a mason as a teenager(40 some odd years ago). Back then, it was no problem to walk away with 2 12", one in each hand,now its two hands on one 8".  Has to be they are heavier. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

beenthere

I hear ya.
Got in trouble with the Union when another summer employee and I were helping unload a semi trailer of 12" concrete block(back in '59). We were into lifting weights and were gladly carrying two blocks off the trailer at a time. Guess the Union members didn't like that one bit. Called on the Union carpet and were told a thing or two.  ::)

Now, I agree with you that they are heavier now.
When 13 yr old, t'was work, but carrying 100# sacks of feed was just what had to be done.    Now, that 40# bag of softener salt is plenty of something to hang onto and move around. Amazing what 53 years will do  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

you guys are scaring me, i don't want to know what a 2x8x16 boards gonna weigh in 30 years!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

crtreedude

Yep, no doubt about, gravity is more than it used to be. Not sure why, but things aren't as light as they once were.

I have noticed also that the hills are getting steeper, perhaps we got some strange contraction of the world, causing hills to get steeper, and increasing the gravity.

Not sure what else could explain it. My wife has a theory, but it is too silly to even repeat...  ::)

Oh, and there isn't as much oxygen as there once was... I can tell because I start breathing harder when I am trying to walk up those steep hills.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

boboak

I have an 066 with a 36" bar.  I KNOW its heavier than when I bought it ten years ago.  Also...the tracks on my Cat are higher off the ground,as is the cab of my pick-up.  The mud is stickier and the summers are hotter.  Thats My story and I'll tell it any way I want to. ::) :D
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D And I thought it was just me. I'll go with Fred's theory about increasing gravity.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pigman

Of course gravity is increasing. ::)  My scales show I weigh a lot more than I did forty years ago. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bill

I just want to know how all the muscles in my arms and legs moved to my belly  ???

IMERC

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 22, 2006, 07:01:39 PM
you guys are scaring me, i don't want to know what a 2x8x16 boards gonna weigh in 30 years!

16 ounces to the pound will no longer apply..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

crtreedude

Come to think of it, I do weigh more than when I was 21 -, but something that is really weird is that I am 2" taller too.

The weight I can figure is just someone messing with gravity - but the height is a bit odd.

Perhaps this all has something to do with the theory of relativity. As you get older, everything around you changes. I notice that someone is doing something to the light too - after all, my hair used to be nearly black...

You would think some scientist accepting grant money would find this a worthwhile area for study since it seems to be so widespread...  ::)

IL Bull

Quote from: crtreedude on March 23, 2006, 06:10:55 AM
Come to think of it, I do weigh more than when I was 21 -, but something that is really weird is that I am 2" taller too.
I got shorter.  What are you eating??  Does this increased gravity affect the hair? ::)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

stumpy

I agree with all of you about the weight thing!!! Have you all noticed that the furniture has gotten smaller? When I was a kid, our couch was so big I had to climb up to sit down!
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

junkyard

Gravity sure does afect the hair. The hair on my head is now my whiskers but you should see the handle bar and goatee on my chest. Chest hair is all around my belly button now.
                          Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

slowzuki

I've got some reverse effects too ???, the roof of the shed has got a lot taller than when I used to jump off it into the snow!

boboak

Quote from: junkyard on March 23, 2006, 04:22:08 PM
Gravity sure does afect the hair. The hair on my head is now my whiskers but you should see the handle bar and goatee on my chest. Chest hair is all around my belly button now.
                          Junkyard

Yeah...the hair that used to be on my temples is now sprouting from my ears...lotta biological misdirection

going on there someplace.   Like my Grandpa said..."getting older ain't for sissys"  I heard a good rant from one of our side-rods the other day.  I can't repeat it vebatim because this forum is a bit to civilized for that but the gist of was "Anybody can be young...takes no talent at all .  All you gotta do is show up...just be there every day,that doesn't show me much.  Now, to be old takes talent.  It takes practice...ya gotta work up to it gradually and the farther ya get into it the harder it is.  Ya gotta be TOUGH to be old...and to be good at it ya gotta work at it every day"   I left all the expletives out...you can insert them in the proper places.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

crtreedude

A couple of things I like to remember.

1. Growing old is better than the alternative...
2. Growing old is an accomplishment, not everone gets there.

Does this sound like we are trying to make ourselves feel better?

dennisinmo

Agree with all this. Also have noticed that the ground is farther down than it used to be. Hard to reach it now.
Safety always first.

crtreedude

IL Bull,

I actually grew 2" between the age of 21 and 25. Sure shocked my wife - she didn't know she robbed the cradle!

VA-Sawyer

crtreedude,
I sure hope that is a typo ! I think you are missing a 's' in that post.
VA-Sawyer

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

Don't think I wanna pursue that one. Sounds like Fred has been away from civilization a little too long :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Hah, modified it, now people are going to have no idea what you guys where talking about - but isn't that common around here?

I was never civilized to begin with. My wife is always saying she needs to be around culture - I suspect that is because of my lack of such...  ;)

TexasTimbers

Well I didn't know that knowing what one, whether it be one's self or someone else's self, was talking about, was a prerequisite to posting one's thoughts. I for one don't hardly ever know what I'm talking about, for the most part.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!