iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rail options for an Alaskan II

Started by roughhewn, March 22, 2006, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roughhewn

I bought the Alaskan II mill but never bought the rail systems for squaring up the cants. It's not a fun process. A big chunk of my problem comes from having to reduce the log right where it falls becasue I can't move the bloody thing with it's full weight. Levels are frustrating when the log is tipped. I've had my best luck by using aluminum extension ladder sections. I set up some 2x so it clamps on the inside of the channel. The 2x's have holes every 1" along the bottom edge that I lag into the end grain. It seems to hold stable enough. Because the lags are parallel to the cut I know I'm not going to clip them with the chain. I stabilize if needed with "v" blocks clamped to the rungs about every 4ft. Longest I can do at present is 16ft. I'd like to be able to get 20ft. Should I just cave and buy the rail system or are there better options I haven't figured out yet?

Snag

I went through the same thing.  I used just about everything including an aluminum ladder.  I can prove it too, there is a 2 in long notch the same width as the kerf on my chainsaw. :D  I had the nest luck just using a real nice 2x10.  I have seen guide boards with angle iron screwed under it on each side for increased rigidity.  I recommended it before on here (as I am sure others have too), but the book "chainsaw lumbermaking" by Will Malloff is a good read.  Great illustrations too.  Problem is the supply/demand for it.  It is out of print and in high demand.  I paid just over $100 for it.  Best bet would be to see if a local library has it.  I bet the guys on the board here will have some better suggestions.  I know some of them have been using the chainsaw mills for years and dwarf my experience with them.  I just try to help when I can. 

I have a dirty little secret when it comes to the chainsaw mill.  I bought the Granberg rails, and never took them out of the box.  They are sitting in my barn right now... ::) I will get to them eventually I guess.

One thing I am really interested in, is a setup I saw in one of the members posts a while back.  I cant remember who it was, I almost think it was one of the moderators.  They have a setup where it appears they place a board on some horizontal supports, and a mini-mill runs on tracks above it for edging.  Not trying to divert your original post, but anybody know who it was?  I would like to get more detail on it.

Kevin

I use a home brew wooden rail system for the Alaskan and a board with the aluminum rail system for the mini mill.

roughhewn

Thanks for the suggestions. Thinking out loud; I tried the flat board thing. It's almost serviceable if you have really prime logs. I'm dealing with some desperate regrowth trees. I just ended up with so many shims and nails and bolts and still the planks would twist. Either that or I'd have to hew a flat side, at which point, I don't need a guide any more. I tried some angle iron but never used it because a 16 foot doug-fir 2x10 with 32 feet of iron was just to heavy to cart around.

As for mini-mill; Are you guys fortunate enough to have multiple saws or do you do a changeover? Not to mention the fact that the mini-mill needs clearance for the tip to hang out and I'm almost always dead flat on the ground.

Kevin

I use two saws and two mills.
Why can't you get the logs off the ground?

Snag

I use two saws also.  I get it off the ground too.  Roll it up on a couple skids....

CaseyForrest

Howdy....I am using whats called "Super Strut." not sure how to describe it, its what electricians use to mount electrical boxs outdoors. Its almost like shelving track. I have two of them 10' long and then an 18" piece runing perpendicular at either end. Fully adjustable to fit anything up to 10'. I also drilled a few holes in the end pieces to nail to the log. And made up some adjustable legs using bolts and hardware thats made for the strut. I am getting some pictures for a couple guys on Arborist Site, will post them here as well.

Thank You Sponsors!