iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sponsor merchandise

Started by Snag, March 21, 2006, 05:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

Does anyone know if one or some of the sponsors and chains and/or tongs for skidding?  I have been looking, but not found them.  Thanks.

beenthere

Have you looked at Bailey's?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Snag

yep, they do.  I just found them there.  I was looking in the wrong area.  I still cant find the chain.  Baileys has choker cable, but I want to get chain.

beenthere

Chain for logging can be found locally, and probably at any Ag store or bigger hardware store. Shipping cost probably precludes why Bailey's doesn't carry it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Snag

You are right on the chain being local, but I cant find it with that choker ring or whatever it is called.  Do you know if they can be purchased seperate somewhere and added to chain?  I have been using my friends father's and would like to get a couple of my own.

wiam

Bailey's has these    Item No: 17977 .  These are similar to the hooks I use.  What are you skidding with?  I use 5/16 chain and have pulled my 65hp 10,000lb tractor around with my winch.  Good 5/16 chain will take it,  but not with a skidder.

Will

Dan_Shade

5/16 grade 70 chain is rated at 4700 lbs, it's pretty strong, but easy to over power it with a winch or a skidder.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Snag

Thanks Will.  I was actually looking for the ones that look like a giant chain link, BUT, I think the ones you pointed out will suit my needs better.  I am skidding with a Ford TC40 (pic in my gallery).  I will go with the 5/16 you mentioned.  Excellent info.  

Dan- If I purchase chain locally, is there any markings on the links that identify the grade?  Thanks for the help.

Jerome

Dan_Shade

grade 70 is "transport" chain, and I believe what is legally required for binding a load, the CDL/truck drivers can clarify that.

with the grade 70 chains, the hooks and every few links are marked with a "70" or "G7" or "G70"

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Snag

Great.  Thanks alot guys.  I should be good-to-go.  Have a good one.

wiam

I have used the closed ones and personally I hate them.  They can be a pain to unhitch because have to run the whole chain back through.  With the open ones, if you can get to them and slide the chain out you can pull the choker out of a bunch of logs with the winch or tractor.  I used to use regular round hooks and they could come unhooked  if the chain slacked.  This is rare with the choker hooks. :) :)

Will

karl

What Will said!
I like those hooks and carry a 6-8' 5/16 or 3/8 chain with one choker hook and a grab hook on my tractor, the forklift and the excavator. They are real handy for snagging that bottom log that you need for that custom cut, pulling a beam from a stack, setting poles ....
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Snag

I didnt realize they made a hook like that until this post.  Now that you mention it, it is a pain in the butt pulling the chain all the way through.  I always look for a good way to SNAG logs. :D  My wife says it's good I find myself funny.....

etat

I tore out some rotten boards on a porch YESTERDAYand found THREE choker hooks laying right there underneath them.  Now if I could just find a house with the gold underneath sum of them boards! 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

Hear about the college girl that was gutting a house hit by Katrina, and found $30K?

Ed_K

I use 14' tow chain, cut in 1/2 and add the choker hook and leave the grab hook on the other end. That way I can add chain to reach a log when the cable runs out. It is a pain to pull the hook under a log every once in a while. Chain is 3/8 cable is 3/4 and the 140 hp skidder doesn't break the chains very often.
Ed K

Snag

Thats a good idea.  Get a 14' er, 2 choker hooks and all set.  All I wanted was to get two put together anyway.  Thanks for the advice.

wiam

My shortest choker is 8'  sometimes that is too short to go around a log.  I do not run any hooks on the other end. I used to until I figured that another choker can be hitched to the end of the chain.  Choke the chain just like a log.  I hate trying to push a hook under a log.    I do have a piece of 5/16 rod for pushing under logs  on the other end of my chokers

Will.

wiam

Here are pictures to go with my last post.

Will

Reddog

I just bought 3/8 x8' choker chains and hooks from bailey's. They have them you just need to look around in the website. For skidding I will stick to the grade 80 it holds up better going over rocks.

bailey's cable and chain hardware

Thank You Sponsors!