iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tie log cost

Started by just_sawing, March 21, 2006, 12:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

What do you have to pay for tie logs?
I'm in Middle Tenn and expect tostart purchasing some.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

tnlogger

just_sawing welcome  I'm in sparta

It's very hard in this area to buy just tie logs  we have a couple members here in the middle Tn. area
that should chime in here tonite.
but if you find a logger to buy from expect to pay 10 to 15% above mill price.
          hope this helps a little  gene
gene

TN_man

Just sawing,
I have been paying 275/1000 bdft. but I just heard that a mill just down from me is paying 280/1000 so I will have to go up to 290 or more. Tnlogger is right about finding someone to just bring you tie logs. Alot of these loggers don't want to take the time to seperate out the logs.  So many times I am just buying the whole tree and have tried to develop a market for all of it. Which has not been hard to do for oak, but is harder to do for hickory and the such.
Good luck. ;)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

WH_Conley

Lotsa luck on gettin loggers to seperate, I'm paying more for tie logs than anybody else around close and still can't hardly get them.
Bill

two saw

I am seeing exactly what you fellows are saying first hand. When I talked to the different loggers before I bought the mill they both said they could have me at least a tandem load of the size and lenght of logs that I wanted every day. They said let them know and they will bring them right over.
Well I have been without logs now for two weeks and have yet to get any from any loggers. The only ones I have had are the ones that were given to me by a friend that he had already down. I went through all of them and still no sign of the loggers. They won't return phone calls or anything.
I have a lot of money invested in this mill and there it sets motionless. There is a log concentration yard about 20 miles from me and I am headed there after I take the boy to school to see what I can do there. I figure I will have to buy a truck and truck them myself back to my mill. Spend a whole day a week doing that I expect. I imagine I will pay significantly more there as well.
If that does not pan out the mill will be up for sale and I will chalk it up as yet another learning experience. Hope I can recoupe my money if that is what happens. ::)
I will let you know after bit what I found out.
I don't know but, If it were me and I had a fellow showing me cash for something I was selling for my living I would try to make sure he gets it. Sometimes I feel I must think differently than the rest of the world.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

Ron Wenrich

I bought logs off of a log concentration yard.  I did pretty good.  There wasn't any dickering about prices, but I was treated well and could make money on whatever they sent.  And they did the trucking.

But, I also had to buy off species.  Sometimes I would get some red oak, but usually it was soft maple, when the market wasn't very good.  Another time it was basswood.

So, don't count out the log yard.  Also, start making some connections.  Go to a veneer buyer and find out where he buys logs.  You're not his competition, so he'll probably tell you.  You'll also get a good education.

Another place to "network" is timber sales.  You don't need to buy the timber, but just show up on a tour and talk to the loggers.  Phone calls just won't work.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

TN_man

Two saw,
Don't throw in the towel too soon.  Most all successful businesses take a while to get their markets estabolished.  I know several sawyers who cut nothing but tie logs and make a decent living.  Of course ties are on the lower end of the scale also. Talk face-to-face with a logger you can trust and ask him what it would take to get him to deliever his logs to you. Keep knocking until you knock on the right door. It may be that ties don't turn out to be your niche, then be willing to change directions.  With the number of flooring companies in my area, I have been finding it more profitable to get the better grade logs and cut for them. I have been averaging around $700/1000 bdft. for oak flooring, that is averaging the top grade with the lower stuff, which they gladly except. I just keep most of the lower end stuff in ties or pallet cants (4x6"), so I don't take them too many #3s which boosts up my average, I know, but it doesn't take to long to get 1000 bdft. of decent boards either.
I just want to encourage to keep trying and not to get down on it. :)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Thank You Sponsors!