iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hokitika

Started by Den Socling, March 18, 2006, 08:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

New Zealand is like a giant Hawaii. You can go from beach to city to farm to desert to mountain to rain forest in a few hours of driving. We installed a kiln in Christchurch on the east coast of the South Island but went to the west coast for a couple days. The trip through the 'southern alps' could make a book but I'll get back to trees.

Den Socling

I was having trouble copying the insertion code but that worked so... where was I?

After we went through the mountains, we stopped to see our next customer. He took us sightseeing and visited that busy lake. Look at the crowd.  :D

Then we went into the rain forest next to the lake.

The coppermine (image manipulation) is screwy tonight. maybe tomorrow.

Den Socling

For those of us who are used to northern forest, the lichens and moss in a rain forest look very strange.

And we don't have any tree ferns at all so I found them very interesting.

And found the turned tree ferns really interesting. i wanted them all so I took a picture of the shelf at a souvenir shop.

The pattern was created by the trees.

Den Socling

Next stop near Hokitika was a swinging bridge.

Would you believe that I met a guy at the end of the bridge who said 'are you from Pennsylvania?'. He had noticed my Yeungling Lager tee shirt. Turned out that he lived in PA one time. It's a small world.

It would have been a nice place to go kayaking.

Tom

You better be careful, Den.  You don't won't your wife to see that good looking woman you're running around with in NZ.    8)

My only experience with a rain forest was crossing the Cascades from Portland to the Pacific back in the 80's.  .......... back before the turn of the century.  :D

I found the unbroken mat of algaes, fungus' and ferns to be so inviting that I wanted to enter the forest and just sit.  That was the first time I evern saw a skunk cabbage too.

Some day I'm going to go back and sit in the Cascades.

Den Socling

Thanks, Tom. That will tickle Patti to hear that. Wait 'til if/when I post some pics of Hawaii. I had a really cute woman with me.  8) Actually, we have been married for 30 years and we considered Hawaii our honeymoon we never had. She's as hot as she was 30 years ago.  :o Well, to us old guys who have learned to appreciate mature women.  :D

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures, Den  8)

That does look like a beautiful river for kayaking. All the beautiful tropical forest and there probably aren't any sn^kes lurking in the trees waiting to drop into my boat :D ...One of my biggest fears of warmer areas :o
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

dundee

Great pics of the (New Zealand's) South Island  Den, other FF members should pay a visit downunder as well, Den has my email address if you are down my way, we will catch trout and smoke it KIWI style   ;D

Den Socling

Richard made me wonder the first time he mentioned 'smoking trout'. He said he needed to pack the 'meth'.  :o  ???  :D 'Meth' is the ethanol he uses in his smoker and not the crap that ruins peoples lives.  :D

Talking about food, we had a couple 'Kiwi burgers' while down under. Know what they put on them?  ???
A fried egg (or two) and 'beetroot'. yep Sliced beets on your burger.  :o Believe it or not, it was a good combination but a burger could have fed me for two or three days! Where's the really fat smiley?

Den Socling

Sprucebunny,

There's not one snake in New Zealand. I heard that the only thing that could hurt you was a spider - and it only hurt a little.  :D

Den

dundee

For your information MR.SOCLING, I have gone up market, chucked out the "meths" and converted a BBQ cooker with the hood, am now using GAS, (put a spin on that)  ;D mind you, I think the "meths" on the smoked trout tasted better  :o

DoubleD

Sorry Den I miss this topic :(

Thank you for all the pictures 8)
I don't know why but seems to me that food is alwais in any post  ;D ;D
Probably the boss have to change the name from Forestry Forum to THE FOOD FORUM :D :D :D
Wannabe a sawmiller

Dan_Shade

I'd love to visit NZ someday, it looks so bueatiful there.

p.s. Yuengling is good stuff, very good stuff :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!