iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Tractor Mounted Gin Pole

Started by Qweaver, March 16, 2006, 01:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I came back to Texas from WV several weeks ago mainly to pick-up a trailer that I have built just for use in the woods (narrow but high capacity) and also to have the doctors figure out some persistent back pain that I'm having.  Turns out that a tremendously hard opening that I had last March crushed and fractured two vertebra and it looks like my skydiving days may be over and muscling big timber may be out too.  I thought I had just broken a rib and pulled some muscles so I did not take the time to see a doctor then and it did seem to get better over time until the last two months.  Anyway, long story-short.  I need to come up with ways to handle the timbers and lumber for the cabin in the least physically demanding way.  A gin pole attached to the loader of my tractor comes to mind and, not wanting to re-invent the wheel, thought I'd ask for ideas here.  A pole that could also be bolted down to the floor of the house would be handy.  Getting old sucks but the alternative sucks more.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Furby

There are pics and discriptions in the Timberframing section.

srjones

I hear ya on the back pain... :( I've just updated my story in the Timberframing section.   I've done exactly what you're thinking about...a tractor mounted gin pole, but I can quickly convert to pallet forks.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=16312.0

-srj
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Murf

Dats what ya get fir jumpin under such a big canopy, stick tha the little ones, or just do 'hop'n'pops' and you'll be just fine. It's dat big terminal speed pop from da big canopy after a long freefall dat gits ya.  :D

A word of caution though if'n yer thinkin about much of a gin pole, length wise, the front axle pivots on a tractor, so unless ya got lots of rear counterbalance ya might get another big thrill.  :o
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

highpockets

Qweaver, I hate to tell you but I think there are more things over than sky diving.  I too crushed a vertebra 16 months ago.  I find climbing up and down leads to days fo rest.  I picked up an 80 lb sack of sackcrete and was down for four days.  Gin poles are nice and I have several from my tractor to a 20 ton truck.  The best thing is a gofer. Someone that can go for this and go for that. 

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

submarinesailor

Note to self:  No skydiving for me!!!!  My back already hurts as it is!!!!

Bruce

sandman2234

Borrow Bertha...
     David from jax

Thank You Sponsors!