iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees of Auckland

Started by Den Socling, March 14, 2006, 06:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

As I said earlier, New Zealand is impressive and I'll stick with the trees for now.

The city of Auckland has a lot of parks (I think they called them domains).

The trees vary from beech to oak to palm.

Notice Patti?

The limbs defy the laws of gravity.

And these are just some of the trees in one little park in one part of one island.  :)

Fla._Deadheader

Man, there's some wild desk and table tops in them trees.  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

WOW !!!  Neat trees ;D
Gonna have to do some serious trimming to make that last one fall over if it was to be cut :D

What kind are they ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

The last picture looks like a big old pohutukawa tree. They often grow like that on rocks and cliffs overlooking the sea. The wood is very strong but seldom straight enough to saw  :D
I believe it was used for boat building years ago, like white oak, where parts from the ship would be cut from appropiate shaped trees.
Lots of them around the parks / roadsides in my area too, this is a big one just up the road from work, and the flowers that come out at Christmas time.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

The 3rd picture I recognise too, from a picture in one of my tree books.
It's an Ombu tree, Phytolacca dioica, from Argentina.
The buttress roots were so distinctive I remembered it from the book. It says that one blew over in the 70s and then grew again from the root buttress that was laying on the ground. not a common tree here so I dont know anything else about it.

Others I'm not so sure about but I would guess Moreton Bay fig by those buttress roots and the bark type (and the size).  It's an Aussie import.  ::)  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!