iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone using Satellite internet??

Started by Snag, March 14, 2006, 07:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I have been looking for a way to get the high speed internet back that I gave up when I moved.  No cable tv here and no dsl.  so far I have been out of luck.  I have dishnetwork, and they said I cant get their satellite internet here either.  geeesh....  Anybody have some other company?  how do you like it and what is the cost?  thanks....

tnlogger

snag I dont know about the satelite but you should be able to go thru your phone co.
and get a ASDL line. check with them  that will give you aroud 128k  :)
gene

sprucebunny

DirecTV has satellite internet. I think it was about $70 a month and $500 in equipment.

Too expensive to look into much farther at this time, for me.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Snag

tnlogger - no dsl available from the phone company where I live.  Apparently they dont want to do whatever upgrades necessary for the small population.  Thanks though.

sprucebunny- that is basically what I have seen from some other companies.  Too expensive for me too.  You spend $500 on the equipment and with my luck it would crap out after the first thunder & lightening storm.  Thanks.

Anybody find it cheaper?

Wyatt

I have the same problem here. I am in the area of a small phone company. The big boys can't enter in???? So if they don't have it I can't get it. I even tried Direct tv and because the uploads go through phone line I am stuck! There is a guy doing small scale broadband in area but will be a while to get this far. DIAL UP SUCKS! there got that off my checst for today.

tnlogger

sorry bout that snag I ment ASDN  it like dialup but on a dedicated line

ISDN

try this to get an idea gene
gene

ronwood

SNAG,

I use Direcway (satellite)  for my internet connection. Works much better than dial. Like Sprucebunny mention it isn't the cheapest. Only time I have a problem when a front comes through with heavy rain or snow. Usually the outage is less than 1/2 hr.

Ron

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

johncinquo

I have directway, satelite.  Works pretty good, but certainly can not touch DSL.  There is no DSL, or cable where I live, so really no other choice.  About $70 a month.   They DO NOT live up to what they advertise for speed.  I have reported slow speed several times, but I get a response saying that they are within the limits they promise,  wayyyyyyy down there in the little bitty writing at the bottom of the contract.  Still faster than dial up 90% of the time. 

You can go to Best buy or another box store, get the equipment on a discount, but you have to sign up for 2 years.  I did not want to pay full price, and did not want to commit for 2 years without being sure, so I bought a complete system off ebay for about $50.  If you go with a used system, you want to make absolutely certain the seller guarantees that their bill has been paid in full.  Direcway will not activate a used system if there is outstanding bill.  You have to have it installed by a technician.  Direcway will not tell you who is in your area or who can come install it, so break out the phone book and start calling around.  I had mine installed for $130.  When you call direcway to set up service, you have to go through Sales, and not Service, you just have to keep telling them you are setting up a used system.  The drones can not think for themselves and are working off a check list, so you must keep telling them.  You will need the #s off the receiver dish, the both send and receive units .   Remember to get the numbers off the receiver, BEFORE you put it up on the roof!   :D

It works pretty good in all weather except wind for some reason.  Might be shaking and throwing it off.  A heavy snow will plug it up and needs to be cleared.  I spray mine down with PAM a couple times a year. 

They have an access policy, that says you can only upload or download XXMB per hour.  I have never been over the limit as far as I know.  If you use it to much they have the right to slow your service down.  I download movies and music and have no problems. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

TexasTimbers

I had Direcway also. It's alot better than dial up, but not near as fast as what i have now.  I bought out the contract last year because a buddy of mine put up a 120' microwave tower in his backyard and is selling service here in the county, because most of us in Fannin County don't have access to DSL or Cable. He is getting more business than he can afford to add. There is a waiting list. It's blistering fast. Even on my older Pavillion.
You should do some asking around. I bet you have a microwave provider like mine in your area that you don't know about.
If not, maybe there is a need that needs filling! :)
The price for me is cheap. I traded 35BF of sweetgum for a free year 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Monopoly here and the phone company is only interested in towns and villages with there fast connections. Unlike alot of provinces further west, most the population here is rural.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slowzuki

Swampy isn't high speed wireless up your way?  There is a company doing most of the SJ river valley now.  We are about 2 km out of range for it.

sawhead

Ihave starband ,which is through dishnetwork , really like it. If you cant get it you might try wildblue internet they seem reasonable on prices but dont know much about them. some of the electric co-ops use wildblue and some offer other internet services.
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

getoverit

I had Starband (satellite Internet) for several years when I lived in NC, and had very few problems with it. When it was raining or snowing, you could forget it though. It has some lag,, so if you want to play interactive games over the Internet, this is DEFINITELY NOT the type of system you want.

I now have DirecWay (Satellite Internet) and so far am not all that pleased with it. It is definitly faster than dialup by a long shot, but it doesnt provide the speed they advertise either. As with Starband, there is some lag in it, so you can forget playing interactive games over the net with it.

Both systems are pricey, going for about $70/month. Both systems had about $700 in equipment fees and setup and had to be setup by a certified installer.

for me, I cant get cable or DSL, so this is the only option for high speed internet.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

GareyD

I have a Direcway 6000 system...no phone required...averages about 700k down and 110k up...Access policy limits you to 134 meg and hour, but if you time the download to cross the hour mark ya never get slowed down...

Not real sure why but my bill is only $59 a month.

Last month had DSL installed....works way better...3000k down and 328k up.

Have all the Direcway equipment that I would make someone a deal on...pm me or I'll try to take a minute and put it on the "for sale" board
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

SwampDonkey

Slowzuki, ss far as I know they stay within the valley and I'm too far out.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

ISDN probably ain't the answer.  You have to be located within about 3 miles of the central office, or fiber-fed concentrator.  It is a 64k circuit, but 8k is used to control the line, for a net availability of 56k.  Not all that much better than a good dial-up. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

johncinquo

What isnt measured, isnt known.

http://speedtest.cogeco.net/

free and accurate speed test.  Just for kicks and comparisons. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

pigman

My string must be good and dry. I am doing 22/19. 8) :( :( :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

getoverit

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-15 21:10:35 EST:
380 / 142

This is the new 7000 series direcway.com sattelite connection....
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

breederman

918/215 that is 44.2% worse than an average user on frontiernet.net   :(  we have only had the high speed conection for a few months and  it is way better than  the dial up, now these guys say I'm still slower than the nieghbors!
Together we got this !

Nova

...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

DanG

It sez, 30/106 on my dial-up, connected at 42.6k. ::)  I'll try it again in a bit to see if it has changed.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-15 22:46:46 EST:
2827 / 237
Your download speed : 2827 kbps or 353.4 KB/sec.
That is 27.1% better than an average user on charter.com

Your upload speed : 237 kbps or 29.7 KB/sec.
That is 9.5% worse than an average user on charter.com

Nova must be on a T-3?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Steve

I can only get the local dsl provider and get only 480/260? I'm going to check tomorrow and see what they advertise for speed as that doesn't sound very fast to me?

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Thank You Sponsors!