iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

painful lessons

Started by kderby, March 12, 2006, 04:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

Well typically I jump right in and encourage boldness.  When it is not my money getting spent that is easier to do.   I just got offered  a huge supply of logs and I wonder if this is where my money should go.  How about some stories...real on the ground stories... of how you lost your Dang butt in the realm of buying logs. 

I asked for logs and I will to pay for the material as it cost them to harvest and deliver logs.  I am speculating that I can mill the material and sell it at profit. 

How deep into this pool have you jumped and where did it get you?  Getting in too deep a way to learn swimming or drowning?

Thanks All from KD in Oregon!

Tom

Unless you are generally a very lucky person, it is advisable to have a market before you spend money on product.

BBTom

OH yea, I have been there, done that, learned my lesson.  Spent way too much money for 30,000 BDFT of Cherry logs, ended up with just #2 and #3 logs, even though I paid enough to have gotten the #1 logs too.  Then a week later the Ice storm hit and everyone in a 100 mile radius had down cherry to log out.  There was a glut on the market and the concentration yards and brokers were not even taking cherry from "little guys".  If they would take it, they graded it so hard that you got 2/3rds of what you should have.  I just finished (14 months later) getting it all sold. I figure I lost 5 grand on the deal, plus all the time and effort. 

I am smarter now, but it will take an extra year to get the business in the black now. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

J_T

Good advice  8) Seams lessons learned the hard way we rember a long time ::) Tom is right I have mine sold before I get it At present am sawing 1"3/8 full 2"x8' and cross ties. Good thing the 1"3/8 don't have to be edged  8)
Jim Holloway

ARKANSAWYER

I ain't never done anything stupid like that in all my days!   ;D
ARKANSAWYER

WkndCutter

If you have the room to store the wood and process the lumber and you have extra money laying around go for it.  If not, you should have a place for the wood to go before you buy the logs.  Its much easier to do the marketing before you start cutting.  Your not tying up money, time and space while trying to move product.  I sat on a 1000 BF of oak for a year.  We are just finished getting that taken care of.  I won't do that again.

Thank You Sponsors!